third, fourth, fifth for people and pet dogs

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by Mann.rob, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Mann.rob New Member

czech
    Could you help me please? I'm looking to find the correct word in Japanese for the ''fourth one'' like in King George the Fourth (IV) or like the fourth puppy :) .. is there any difference? Ex: in manga world, character: Lupin III (ルパン三世, Rupan Sansei)

2. rainbowizard

rainbowizard Senior Member

Venezia
    Italian - Italy
    Ciao,
    the word you are looking for is probably 四世 spelled yonsei which means "fourth generation" or generally speaking "the fourth" in someone dinasty/family.
    Specifically we may talk about 一世 issei (1st generation), 二世 nisei (2nd generation), 三世 sansei (3rd generation), 四世 yonsei (4th generation), 五世 gosei (5th generation) etc.

Mind that the word to specify the age of someone, in years, is different even if it is spelled similar:
    It is 歳 spelled sai ... so we have for example 一歳 issai (1 year old), 二歳 nisai, 三歳 sansai 四歳 yonsai, 五歳 gosai ...

3. Mann.rob New Member

czech
    Thank you! very helpfull!

4. rainbowizard

rainbowizard Senior Member

Venezia
    Italian - Italy
    you're welcome ... I would like to add that sometime you may found 才 instead of 歳 for "year old" with the same spelling 'sai'.
    Honestly I do not know when you should use one kanji or the other ... I am sure some native japanese may give us a reply ^^