Three gentle sisters exist inside his head

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by ViolentFemme, Jul 12, 2006.

1. ViolentFemme

ViolentFemme Senior Member

Milano (Italy)
    Italian - Italy
    Hi everybody!

I read this sentence but I don't get it! What does it mean? Do you know? Maybe is it a literary reference?

"Three gentle sisters exist inside his head and then everyone disappears"

Context: a girl fond of mysteries and weird events is describing a weird situation.
    (The sentence could also be a literal translation from a Japanese idiomatic expression)

thanks!

2. combustion

combustion Senior Member

Lugo (RAVENNA)
    Italian, Italy, Ravenna
    Letteralmente:
    "tre leggiadre sorelle esistono dentro la sua mente (testa), dopodiche' tutti scompaiono"...
    Non so se ha senso...
    comb...

3. ViolentFemme

Milano (Italy)
    Italian - Italy
    Grazie per la risposta, ma la traduzione letterale mi era chiara. Cercavo appunto il vero significato inglese, ciò che vuol dire, il senso.

4. combustion

combustion Senior Member

Lugo (RAVENNA)
    Italian, Italy, Ravenna
    Immaginavo, ma il contesto qual e'? Nel senso, non credo a questo punto che sia una frase idiomatica, piuttosto una situazione surreale, oppure la descrizione di una situazione psicologica.

comb...

5. mimitabby

mimitabby Senior Member

seattle
    usa, english
    Hi,
    I think I need more context.
    3 gentle sisters are in his head, and then everyone disappears.

The sisters are perhaps voices? who is disappearing, the sisters?
    It's hard to say without more context

6. ViolentFemme

Milano (Italy)
    Italian - Italy
    The context was the one I described:
    Context: a girl fond of mysteries and weird events is describing a weird situation.

There are no real sisters.. The girl is saying that as if it was an idiomatic sentence, or a typical thing that happens in a mysterious event.

Maybe it's just a literal translation from Japanese then. Thanks!

7. Bookmom

Bookmom Senior Member

Is the quote from a book you are reading and if so do you have an author and title for the book you're quoting?

In Greek mythology the three graces are often called the three sisters
    Aglaia (Radiance), Euphrosyne (Joy) and Thalia (Fruitfulness). Rubens "The Three Graces" is in the Prado, Andre Chekov authored a play called "The Three Sisters", the Iroquoi people called corn, beans and squash the three sisters.

8. emma1968 Senior Member

tuscany
    ITALY-italian
    If I don't remember badly also in Monument Valley Utah there is a sandstone formation called "the three sisters"
    I guess it refers to the good or evil spirits, I don't remember.
    I hope it helps

9. ViolentFemme

Milano (Italy)
    Italian - Italy
    Thank you very much for your kind help!

I'm translating an English subtitled Japanese anime, so I think it's a literal translation from some kind of Japanese idiomatic expression.

The only interesting thing I found on the internet is the following:
    "The Three Sisters are a trio of seductive vampire women that serve Count Dracula in the eponymous novel and most related work in which Dracula is featured"
    I will think more about it..

However, thank you very much! I'll keep on investigating on it with the help of a Japanese friend : )