1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

three snowmachines in front of the leaders as far as McGrath

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Scaramouche84, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Scaramouche84

Scaramouche84 Junior Member

Rome
    Italian
    Salve a tutti.

Sto traducendo le istruzioni per una maratona estrema che si tiene in Alaska e ho trovato questa frase:

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The only support provided to the racers is three snowmachines in front of the leaders as far as McGrath insuring a broken trail once and seven checkpoints where food and lodging are available.

Ho tradotto: l'unico supporto che viene fornito ai partecipanti è di tre motoslitte davanti al gruppo di testa_____________________________________ e sette checkpoint in cui sono disponibili vitto e alloggio.

non capisco la parte centrale: McGrath è la città di arrivo, poi no so che voglia dirmi. Le motoslitte sono distanti per verificare una traccia...

No, aiuto!
    [/FONT]

2. joanvillafane Senior Member

U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English
    Hi Scaramouche84 - "as far as McGrath" is clear to me. It means the snowmachines are there for the entire length of the route, ending at McGrath. The problem I see in this sentence is "insuring a broken trail once." The word "once" is decidedly strange there. It could be an error - maybe some words were left out.

I don't know if it means something to Iditarod enthusiasts.

3. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
    I agree with Joan and had the same reaction to the word "once" here. But then there's the word "snow machine" which for me is not a snowmobile but a machine that makes snow, which makes this sentence even harder to understand completely.

4. MR1492

MR1492 Senior Member

Bowie, MD
    English -USA
    I don't think they are snow making machines, rrose. I go with Joan that these are big support vehicles in case any of the racers get into trouble. If you have to pack sleds, supplies, dogs, and people, you'll need a big "snow machine" to transport them. I seem to recall they use those big Arctic Cat's up there as race support.

I also am not sure that McGrath is the endpoint of the race. It might be that the snow machines go to McGrath and that there are supplies at the seven following checkpoints. As to the use of "once", it might mean that the snow machines make one run to McGrath to make a path. If it snows after they make that run, they aren't coming back to re-make the trail. The racers would be on their own.

Just my $0.02 on it.

Phil

5. joanvillafane Senior Member

U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English
  6. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
  7. MR1492

MR1492 Senior Member

Bowie, MD
    English -USA
    Thanks, Ron. But seriously, McGrath is the endpoint "for the short 350 mile race!" The rest of the race is 1000 miles!! These people are nuts. LOL.

Those doing the 1000 mile race are really on their own after McGrath.

Phil

8. ALEX1981X Senior Member

Italian
    maybe this snowmachines are used to throw snow and flatten the trail so that the runners can walk and run easily on it, and this operation is made only once
    This might contrast with "broken trail" which I don't know what it means but I take it to mean - uneven terrain
    I'm just speculating and the text is not so clear

9. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
    Broken trail means that the machine are making some sort of trail to follow, making it a little easier for the racers.

10. MR1492

MR1492 Senior Member

Bowie, MD
    English -USA
    Alex,

I think you're close. I think the machines don't throw the snow but rather just make a path the racers can follow. If you look at the photo from the web page, it appears they race on cross country skis towing supplies in a little sled. My guess is that the snow machines just give them a good path. However, if it snows again, the machines don't come back to re-open the path.

Phil

11. AlabamaBoy Senior Member

Alabama, USA
    American English
    Snow machine in the Iditarod context is any kind of snow vehicle from snowmobile to a snow coach, with a snow cat being somewhere in between. As others have noted "once" seems like a thought that did not get completed or the result of sloppy editing.

12. joanvillafane Senior Member

U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English
    After Phil's comment, I understand it now. They "break the trail" once - but a comma after "once" would have been better. ;)

13. CPA Senior Member

Rome
    British English/Italian biling
    Insomma, i gatti fanno da apripista solo fino a McGrath (il tracciato breve) e passano solo una volta.

14. Scaramouche84

Scaramouche84 Junior Member

Rome
    Italian
    Thanks to everybody! Now it's clear.

@Phil: when I read "this people are nuts" I was dying laughing! :D