three thousand five hundred or thirty five hundred.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by rich7, Aug 12, 2005.

1. rich7 Senior Member

caracas
    Venezuela español
    <what is the difference between these two? when to use which?

Also, what does the expression "bear merit" mean?

2. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    Rich: Remember that we switch our commas and periods with numbers:

They are the exact same!
    The latter is somewhat more informal, though.

3. rich7 Senior Member

caracas
    Venezuela español
    I'll take that into account thks.....

4. Gordonedi

Gordonedi Senior Member

Strathaven
    UK (Scotland) English
    Although understood in the UK, the term "thirty-five hundred hundred" is used less than in the USA.

:)

5. Aupick

Aupick Senior Member

Strasbourg, France
    UK, English
    I agree with Gordonedi. In the UK we say 'thirteen hundred', 'sixteen hundred', etc., but we tend to stop at 'nineteen hundred'. Anything higher and we talk about thousands. Americans just go on and on, though.

6. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

England
    English (England)
    Yes, I agree too. Actually, I didn't know anyone said "thirty-one hundred" etc. If someone said to me "there were fifty-four hundred people there" I would have to stop and think about it for a moment before working out the number. I am very slow in hearing numbers though, I must admit, in any language.

7. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

Is there a connection between this and the way dates are pronounced in English ?

I mean, when you say nineteen sixty-eight, does it come from nineteen (hundred) sixty-eight ?

8. Aupick

Aupick Senior Member

Strasbourg, France
    UK, English
    I believe so, yes. I wonder if this is also why no one says twenty-oh-five for the current year, even though nineteen-oh-five is standard for 1905. We'll have to wait and see if people's habits change, and if Americans adopt the 'twenty' before Brits.

9. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Well kind of. It comes from looking at the four digits as two pairs of two - 19 and 68.
    We are only now beginning to talk of "twenty-oh-five", instead of "two-thousand-and-five". Of course we will work this back to "twenty-oh-one", now that we have begun. And perhaps we will soon talk about "twenty-hundred" instead of that weird "the year two thousand".

Well, fellow-BE-speakers, I had never really thought about it but now that I think, I agree. We happily talk about hundreds up to 19 hundred. After that we are talking thousands and hundreds - twenty-one-hundred is totally alien to me too.

And I agree with Aupick - especially the bit about Americans "going on and on....". Was that only about counting or was it a general statement of their behaviour?;)

And of course I agree with Gordonedi - we BE-speakers have the intellectual competence to understand ALL kinds of strange perversions of the language.:D

Sorry Aupick - our posts overlapped - the BBC are now talking twenty-oh-five and so on - it's arrived.

10. GenJen54

GenJen54 Senior Member

Downright Pleasant, USA
    USA - English
    You would absolutely see the more formal form of this on official documents such as checks, legal documents, etc., as it's more "specific" in this written form.

For example: three thousand five hundred and 00/100 dollars.

Otherwise, in conversation, they're the same.

Yes, this is where it originated and you still see in old(er) documents and literature.

You also still see it written on very formal documents such as college diplomas, wedding invitations, etc.

My diploma states I graduated in: "nineteen hundred and ninety-two"

Dropping the (hundred) is more a device of conversational English, where its quicker to just "drop" it.

Strangely, people are still trying to figure out how to say our current date year. I've heard variants of the following:

two thousand five - most often
    two thousand and five - fairly often
    twenty o-five - seldom, but it is heard

I'm sure when we get into the "teens," we'll hear the "twenty" pattern more often, as in: twenty twelve, or twenty fourteen.

11. remosfan Senior Member

Canada, English
    It looks that way. I'm not entirely sure because I didn't pay that much attention, but my feeling is that during the coverage about where the 2012 Olympcis would be held "twenty twelve" was very popular among the media.

12. foxfirebrand

foxfirebrand Senior Member

The Northern Rockies
    Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    The reason we Americans "go on and on" is because "thirty-five hundred seventy-seven and no/cents" fits on the check ("cheque"-- hahaha! How ye-olde-shoppe) comfortably-- and "three thousand five hundred seventy-seven and no/cents" taxes legibility a wee bit.

Come on you guys, you can write checks for more than two thousand now-- the Pound Sterling ain't exactly worth four bucks eighty any more.

13. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    This is SO much more than a language forum - we learn such a lot about behaviour.
    We are poor simple folks who have no need to write cheques for such large amounts - we just count it out from the stash under the mattress:)
    More realistically, inflation and increased spending power, to the point where spend of >£999.99 has become less rare, have coincided with the almost universal use of plastic. The result, as you have observed, it that cheques are used very rarely.

On the few large cheques I have written, the amount in words was set out in full splendour as:
    One thousand, three hundred and fifty-seven pounds 34pence, not
    Thirteen hundred and fifty-seven pounds 34pence.
    Even for £1,000 - £1,999.
    Of course it uses more words, more time, more space - but big spenders can afford it:)

Maybe someone who has written a lot more big cheques would disagree .

14. rich7 Senior Member

caracas
    Venezuela español

15. foxfirebrand

foxfirebrand Senior Member

The Northern Rockies
    Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    Taxes = puts a strain on

A long wording-out of numbers makes legibility difficult-- on a check, the space you have to write in is limited, and your handwriting gets crowded to the point of illegibility. "Three thousand seven" takes up more of that limited space than "thirty-seven." Especially if you write "three thousand and seven."

16. rich7 Senior Member

caracas
    Venezuela español
    I gotcha now thanks once more.