Through discipline comes freedom

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by ales76, Jun 30, 2014.

1. ales76 New Member

Hello, this is an Aristotle quote that I'd like to write in greek. Somebody can help me please?
  2. juan papa New Member

A literal translation could be:

Δια μέσου / Μέσω της πειθαρχίας έρχεται / αποκτάται / επιτυγχάνεται η ελευθερία.

Hope it helps!
  3. Acestor

Acestor Senior Member

Many of the quotations on the web are modern potted versions of what various wise men of the past have said. In the case of this quote from Aristotle, you may have to have a look at his Politics. Read the analysis on this page (after the last paragraph, ‘In short, one is free’):

and then the translation of the relevant section here:

You will see that, though he discusses freedom, what he says about discipline is actually this:
    “to live in conformity with the constitution ought not to be considered slavery but safety.”

οὐ γὰρ δεῖ οἴεσθαι δουλείαν εἶναι τὸ ζῆν πρὸς τὴν πολιτείαν, ἀλλὰ σωτηρίανΠολιτικά/Ε

One could probably reword it to say what you want it to say, but it would no longer be Aristotle.

4. ales76 New Member

Dear many thanks for the resources that helped me to understand better the situation of the sentence
  5. ales76 New Member

Dear, many thanks, it helps a lot!
    Is the following the best and shortest way to say that?

Μέσω της πειθαρχίας έρχεται επιτυγχάνεται η ελευθερία.
  6. Acestor

Acestor Senior Member

There's a slash there, in juan papa's suggestion, to denote alternatives. Try:

Μέσω της πειθαρχίας επιτυγχάνεται η ελευθερία.

I might also suggest:
    Μέσω της πειθαρχίας κερδίζουμε την ελευθερία.
    Through discipline we win freedom.