1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

throughput + mapear

Discussion in 'Computers/IT/Informática' started by Fe Maria Finch, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Fe Maria Finch New Member

North Carolina
    fully bilingual Spanish/English (degrees in both languages) Cuba/United States
    I am translating my first computer technology documents and I am appalled at the terms. Words that don't exist in English or Spanish are used all over the Internet. I can understand new words for new technolgies but some of these words are really irritating, for example "throughput" in English and "mapear" in Spanish. My question is: Do the other translators here just cinch their belts and go with these terms or do you try to do your part in avoiding the use of Spanglish and horrid English?

Is there a consensus somewhere?

I apologize if a similar thread has been started but I couldn't find a topic search for the forum. Is there one?

2. ILT

ILT Moderando con moderación

México
    México - Español/Castellano
    Hi Fe Maria Finch, and welcome to the forum!! First of all, let me tell you that I've encountered the same problem, altough most of my translations are from Spanish to English.

However, I try to stay away from such words, unless they have been acknowledged by the RAE, in which case I use them as they are.

The problem I see is that it is easier to say "mapear" than to express in Spanish the whole meaning for " to map", and since there is no single word that is equivalent, then it is included in the daily jargon spoken by computer technicians/engineers. What I do, as a professional translator, is use its equivalent in Spanish, even if it means using a whole phrase instead of a single word.

As for a consensus, I guess we translators just do our work trying to fulfill the expectations of our clients; in my case I am an in-house translator, so I know by now exactly what my boss expects regarding all those terms. Why don't you try checking it out with your client? He'll give you a good direction.

ILT

3. lauranazario Moderatrix

Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico/Español & English
    Hi Maria Fe... and welcome to the forums.

From Diccionario Técnico Inglés><Español de F. Beigbeder...

throughput = rendimiento; productividad comparada; medida de proceso y transferencia (informática).

Obviamente, la tercera acepción es la que buscas. :)

Saludos,
    LN

4. lauranazario Moderatrix

Puerto Rico
    Now regarding to map...

I think the best way to translate this is to avoid the obvious mistranslation (mapear = to mop something, to use a mop = mapo) and say something along the lines of...
    me encargaré del proceso de hacer un mapa del sitio web= I'll handle the website maping process

I hope this example helps. :)

Saludos,
    LN

5. lauranazario Moderatrix

Puerto Rico
    Transfiero este hilo a Termiinología Especializada.
    LN

6. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Hola LN. I think that mapear--a nauseating neologism-- refers to 'data mapping', which is a common IT [information technology] term that refers to the movement and conversion of data elements in, among other areas,
    so-called legacy systems to newer 'platforms'. It is sad to use the word mapear, as the concept can be described perfectly well with existing Spanish words.

saludos,
    Cuchu

7. lauranazario Moderatrix

Puerto Rico
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Qxu...
    This is from Eurodicautom: http://europa.eu.int/eurodicautom/Controller

Subject: Automation - Computer Science - Data Processing - Information Technology (AU)
    EN-TERM mapping
    Reference Sippl,Dict of Data Communications,MacMillan,1985
    Note {DOM} Data processing:Software:General

ES-TERM correlación
    Reference A. Soto López, Ing. de Sistemas, Alcatel Standard Eléctrica, SA., Madrid
    Note {DOM} Tratamiento de datos: Soporte lógico: General

Is this it????

Saludos,
    LN

8. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    That looks good to me. But as I am not a native SP speaker, nor do I have
    IT experience in español, I would check with one of our SME's (Subject matter experts) to be sure it is a good equivalent.

Thanks for the quick reply.

abrazos,
    Cuchuflete

9. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Let me offer an English example of 'data mapping' to help determine if correlación is a good term. A software system --midrange or mainframe probably-- is used to coordinate data elements from many distinct databases and application files, and use these to populate fields in a printing application for shipping labels. The programmatic copying of static and dynamic data elements from these many sources to the print program is called mapping.

I hope I haven't further confused the issue. The program knows the location of each required data element in its source program file, and knows where to place it in the destination file. That is data mapping. Thus, if 'customer address line 2' goes to a specific location in the label print program, and Fedex changes the label layout so that it must now go to a different place, the data is "re-mapped".

C

10. DVader New Member

Montevideo, Uruguay
    Español - Uruguay
    Hola, aunque ya han pasado varios años, me gustaría darles una visión diferente sobre este tema. Como Ingeniero en Computación, puedo decirles que, al menos en mi país, nos manejamos tanto en el terreno universitario como en el profesional con una mezcla de los términos originales en inglés y "jerga españolizada"; y nos resulta molesto y chocante cuando alguien intenta traducir esos términos al español. En muchos casos, incluso resulta difícil entender qué quiso decir el traductor.

Nosotros, por ejemplo, usamos los términos "Stack", "Push", "Pop" y "Top"; y no "Pila", "Poner", "Quitar" y "Cima". También hablamos del "Linker" o "Linkeditor", no del "Enlazador". Y por supuesto que nosotros "mapeamos", normalmente mediante una estructura de datos llamada "Map"; y no "correlacionamos" mediante un "mapa".

Ésto tiene sentido por varios motivos, siendo los principales que la mayoría de la literatura especializada está en idioma Inglés, y muchas de las traducciones, al no existir términos equivalentes aceptados por la RAE, optan por conservar las expresiones originales en inglés o la jerga técnica, que está universalmente aceptada (a diferencia de las traducciones).

Es más, muchas veces las traducciones, por más bienintencionadas que sean, terminan causando problemas. Uno de mis profesores contaba que por los años 80, hubo una ola de usuarios que llamaban al soporte técnico para quejarse de que les estaba fallando la batería de su computadora. Las computadoras tienen una batería interna para evitar que se borre la memoria del SetUp (una utilidad del BIOS -siendo SetUp y BIOS dos términos más que no se traducen). ¡El tema es que esas máquinas eran XT, no tenían SetUp! La explicación era simple: el fabricante de la máquina había traducido el mensaje "Stack Overflow" como "Error de pila interna"...

Lo que sí he notado, es que en España pasa todo lo contrario. Quizá por ser la cuna del español, se resisten a los términos en inglés, y es el único lugar -que yo sepa- donde dicen "ordenador", "ratón", etc.

Bueno, espero haber podido aportar otro punto de vista al tema :eek:)

¡Saludos!

11. CZECKCOQUI Senior Member

English & Spanish
    Just a quick question... does this mean we can leave the terminology (ie: Computer Software Systems) in English as is and not translate to Spanish? I am a bit confused on this...

12. DVader New Member

Montevideo, Uruguay
    Español - Uruguay
    Unfortunately, it's more complicated than that... because (at least here, in Uruguay) we use some terms translated to Spanish (in your example, I would said "Sistemas Informáticos", which is not even a literal translation), and some others in its original form in English. The problem is, some terms do indeed have an "accepted" translation in Spanish, and some others don't. And you have to know which terms are in one category and which ones in the other...

To add more complexity, I also suppose it could differ from country to country.

13. CZECKCOQUI Senior Member

English & Spanish
    Yes, thank you for the input.
    I've decided descriptive translation is often the best when there is not equivalent. Which is probably why we find words like Siesta, Taco, Pizza and Hot Dog left as in in many countries' languages!

14. Jom Senior Member

Roma Italia
    Español-España
    Hola:

En España y en otros paises de habla hispana muchos técnicos se esfuerzan por encontrar términos en español cuando es posible. En el caso que nos ocupa, throughput es un término que tampoco es inmediato para un nativo, salvo que sea un ténico y se especifique el contexto. Respecto a mapear creo que traducciones como la encontrada por Laura Nazario (correlacionar) como "asignar" funcionan en bastantes ocasiones.

Saludos.

15. axias Junior Member

throughput = productividad. Throughput means number of items produced, completed, retired or transferred per time unit, where "items" can be tasks /processes /threads, instructions, bytes... Strictly speaking we use "bandwidth" when we refer to data transferred per time unit.

We use "performance" to refer to "rendimiento" ("prestaciones") in general, the latter being less accepted.

"Mapear" is spanish computer jargon for "mapping. Strictly speaking it could be perfectly translated as "proyectar". When teaching in Spanish, I've decided to cling to this term in computer architecture and operating systems issues. E.g.: "mapped in memory" -> "proyectado en memoria", like a file mapped in memory by using the mmap() system call in Unix flavours, or like the I/O addressing space, which can or cannot be "mapped in memory".

"Asignar" is not appropriated for "to map", because the English term usually behind that idea in IT is " to allocate", like in "to allocate memory" or allocate resources in general. You'd be surprised if you went to a few Spanish universities like the UPC, where they translate "to allocate" as "alocatar", even when speaking Catalan.

Welcome to the IT Spanish mess! Enjoy!