Throw yourself on the mercy of the court?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Iskia, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Iskia Junior Member

China,Chinese
    Son's v.o. while explaining to his mother about his behavior: I had to throw myself on the mercy of the court to get special permission to go to karate class.

Anybody mind explaining to me the meaning of "throw myself on the mercy of the court"?

Thank you!

2. . 1 Senior Member

Ferntree Gully
    Australian Australia
    The full sentence is
    The expectation is that by pleading guilty and not wasting the time of the court the offender can expect a lighter sentence.

This has real parallels in that under the Westminster System an offender pleading guilty almost always receives a sentence reduced by a third or even half.

3. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Literally, it means admitting one's guilt in a criminal trial while also explaining extenuating circumstances and making a final gesture of confidence in the judge's unstrained quality of mercy.

It's used figuratively in much the same way, a child to a parent; one spouse to another. Here, there is an added sense of slightly humourous exagerration.

Edit of egregious error, thanks to the backchannel kindness of one of our colleagues. Thank you!

4. Iskia Junior Member

China,Chinese
    Thanks, .,, and nun-translator, you're of great help to me!

5. cheshire

cheshire Senior Member

اليابان
    Catholic (Cat-holic, not Catholic)
    Can I ask what "back channel" means here? Is it "uh-huh" or "unofficial"?

6. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    I'm sorry, Cheshire. ""Backchannel" is slang from e-mail distribution lists. It means a private communication relating to the topic at hand but not posted to the list (or forum in this case).

7. cheshire

cheshire Senior Member

اليابان
    Catholic (Cat-holic, not Catholic)
    Thanks for explaining the word! Someone had private mailed you, and you thanked for it!