thrown in at the deep end

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by moby dick, Jun 1, 2007.

1. moby dick Senior Member

français france
    Comment se traduit "thrown in at the deep end" dans la phrase suivante :
    "I left university, thrown in at the deep end with a proper reggae band"
  2. fleur de courgette Senior Member

United States/English
    I'm not sure of the translation, but I can offer some clarification on the meaning of the idiom. I'm familiar with "go off the deep end" which means to act recklessly or hysterically and I believe your phrase is derived from this. Also, the way that it is phrased in your sentence gives the impression that the author was immersed in a serious reggae culture. The phrase "to be in deep" means to be engrossed in a social/political/etc scene or activity as well as to be in trouble. Hope this helps:)
  3. conor71 New Member

Marseille, France
    Ireland , English
    "thrown in the deep end" normally means that you are placed in new environment without much training or preparation....e.g.: in Company A you are given full training and then easier customers to deal with at first, until you feel comfortable, whereas in Company B you are "thrown in the deep end", (no training and having to deal with the hardest customers right away!)

in this context I would suggest it means that he found himself immediately in a serious reggae band ( as opposed to something more amateur)

I hope this helps in the transalation?
  4. gws75 Senior Member

American English
    I believe that the expression "being thrown in at the deep end" is a reference to swimming pools, which typically have a deep end and a shallow end. When a person (who does not know how to swim) is thrown in at the deep end, he must learn how to swim very quickly, or else ...
  5. totallylost202

totallylost202 Senior Member

Tamworth/Cardiff, UK
    England, English
    How would you translate this in French?

I'm sure I read something with grand bain in it, am I correct?
  6. fabfab Senior Member

France - Grenoble
    French - France
    I have been intensively racking my brains over the last few days but I can't recall the French idiom :eek:

We need some help here!
  7. type anglais New Member

English - England
    "I was thrown in at the deep end" could be translated as "c'était un baptême du feu (pour moi)"
  8. L'irlandais

L'irlandais Senior Member

Dreyeckland/Alsace region
    Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    Hope this is of some help :
    In at the deep end (imagery of the swimming pool) contains the idea of being out of one's depth and so to find one's self in a sink or swim situation.

That said I cannot think of a suitable French idiom either.
  9. Bobbibounette Senior Member

être jeté dans le grand bain... mais ce ne serait pas terrible ici...

Plongé(e) jusqu'au cou ?
  10. Nickko

Nickko Senior Member

France French
    Se jeter à corps perdu ?
  11. Ony Senior Member

France -french
    "I left university, thrown in at the deep end with a proper reggae band"

du coup ça nous ferait : "je quittai l'unniversité, me jetant à corps perdu dans mon projet de fonder un véritable groupe de reggae", ou quelque chose de ce style, non ?
  12. andad Senior Member

Montpellier, France
    American English
    I'm not sure the character was trying to form a reggae band. Maybe the "reggae band" was added to show the absurdity of his circumstances. Could we have more context -- if you're still around?
  13. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    No, he's surely not founding the band because he says he was "thrown in" and not "jumped in", ce qui aurait été également possible.

C'est bien le baptême de feu qui s'impose.
  14. Ellea1

Ellea1 Senior Member

Southern French
    I'll suggest

être jeté dans le bain or être mis à l'épreuve
  15. marie_qc New Member

French - Canada
    I also believe "être jeté dans le bain" is the best translation. I was also hesitating with "être mis dans l'eau chaude", what do you think?
  16. Soleil_Couchant Junior Member

'Put in hot water' is actually already a different idiom for English. Means you're put in a troubling situation or are in the middle of something that you could easily be in trouble for, not the same as thrown into the deep end which has been explained above. So I would go with the former "être jeté dans le bain" for the deep end.
  17. Bobbibounette Senior Member

"être mis dans l'eau chaude" n'est pas, à ma connaissance, un idiome français (de métropole)... mais peut-être est-ce utilisé dans une autre région / un autre pays francophone ?