Discussion in 'Suomi (Finnish)' started by mikun, Jan 4, 2013.

1. mikun Senior Member

Chiba Japan
    I'm reading finland 'BCG-rokotusohjelman muutos' paper and encountered posted word. Does anyone know the meaning?
    The word appeared in the 'Tuberkuloosi Ruotsissa' slide. It is written as 'aktiivin taudin(thx-muutoksia)'.
    My try is 'thanks to '.
    Thanks for your attention.
  2. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA

I'm pretty sure that "thx" doesn't mean "thanks to" in this context. It seems to be a technical abbreviation related to tuberculosis or vaccination, but I don't know what it stands for.

For example, I found the following on Google:

"Instructions for the imaging unit in studies (thx-rtg, thx-CT, MRI) of patients who are suffering from, or have suffered from tuberculosis."

Do any of the Finns recognize the abbreviation thx as used in medical contexts?
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  3. etrade Member

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  4. altazure Member

Looking at etrades link and after some googling, I believe 'thx' means 'thorax', which is the medical term for chest. "thx-muutoksia" probably means changes in the chest area.
  5. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Ah, so does thx-rtg = thx-röntgen = X-ray of the chest?

This doesn't seem to be a very frequent abbreviation -- is there a more common way of saying "chest X-ray" in Finnish?
  6. mikun Senior Member

Chiba Japan
    Thenk kiitokset,
    Gavril, etrade and altazure.
    Thorax (change) seems to be completely match the context. I want to use this term.
    May I use your comments in my intra company report?