Thy will, not mine be done

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Lovelyaltagracia, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Lovelyaltagracia Senior Member

Arabic
    Thy will, not mine be done

Is there any other way to say this sentence? because if I said it to someone who isn't really that good in English, he wouldn't understand it, so, is there a modern way to say this?

2. Kotuku33 Senior Member

New Zealand
    French & English, Alberta, Canada
    Hello! I think with a bit of context we could help you out more easily.

3. Lovelyaltagracia Senior Member

Arabic
    Well, there's no context actually, it's just a phrase a woman said to her daughter the day she came out from rehab.
    This is from a Spanish TV Show.

4. Kotuku33 Senior Member

New Zealand
    French & English, Alberta, Canada
    OK, well, how about "We'll do things your way instead of mine." Or, "We'll do what you want instead of what I want." Or, "What you want is more important than what I want."

5. Elwintee Senior Member

London England
    England English
    I think the nearest I can get is "I will act as you wish me to act, not as I myself wish". Of course the original context is the Biblical injunction, in which Jesus Christ asks to be saved from a terrible fate, but says he will submit to God's will and, subsequently, goes to his crucifixion.

6. Lovelyaltagracia Senior Member

Arabic
    Thank you so much :D

7. Lovelyaltagracia Senior Member

Arabic
    Can I say "God's will be done, not mine" ????

8. cyberpedant

cyberpedant Senior Member

North Adams, MA
    English USA, Northeast, NYC
    You can, but it's not the same as your original sentence, which doesn't necessarily involve a deity.

9. Sparky Malarky Senior Member

Indiana
    English - US
    True, the original sentence does not refer to a deity, but in modern English we don't use thee, thy, and thou for anyone but God. If the woman was speaking English, I think she was either praying, advising her daughter to pray, or at least making a reference to prayer. But this is from a Spanish TV show? I'm confused.

10. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London
    English - England