1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

ti faccio nero

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by italtrav, Nov 1, 2013.

1. italtrav

italtrav Senior Member

Brooklyn
    English
    Ciao a tutti

I found this phrase discussed in passing here: http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1506200.
    But I'd appreciate a better sense of its use. Would it translate, "I'll get you!" or "I'll get you back (i.e. revenge myself)"? Is this just a variation on "Ti faccio male"?
    Grazie in anticipo.

2. Odysseus54

Odysseus54 Mod huc mod illuc

In the hills of Marche
    Italian - Marche
    Literally, it means " I am going to beat you up until you are black and blue ".

3. euriclea Senior Member

Firenze
    Italian
    Odysseus is right, but ti faccio nero can also be used as a figurative expression (i.e. a metaphor), meaning to defeat somebody thoroughly in a contest or sport competition.
    Giochiamo a tennis domani?
    Sei sicuro? Guarda che ti faccio nero!!

4. GavinW Senior Member

Italy
    British English
    "I'll have your guts for garters!"

5. stella_maris_74

stella_maris_74 Mod About Chocolate

Rome
    Italian - Italy
    Moderation note:

Hello :)
    This might have different translations depending on context, as the previous replies show, and we prefer to discuss expressions in specific contexts rather than in general, or rather than having repliers come up with different contexts to fit their particular translation version.

Italtrav, could you please provide the specific context that you had in mind, including a complete sentence?

6. italtrav

italtrav Senior Member

Brooklyn
    English
    Ciao Stella

Mi dispiacce: The only context I had was the discussion linked in my original post, which had been on, "I'll eat your soul!" with a possible translation of 'Divorerò la tua anima," and then this: "Secondo me, se con "I'll eat your soul" si intende intraprendere un'azione fisica contro l'altro in un attimo di rabbia, potresti tradurre con una frase tipo "Ti faccio nero".
    Rende bene l'idea che in quel momento le cose tra i due non stanno andando bene, anzi."
    I couldn't find other info on the phrase, hence my query.