Ti voglia o ti voglio?

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by LG1789, Sep 3, 2005.

1. LG1789 Junior Member

London
    UK & English
    Hi, I have been reading the threads to do with this and in one of them, (sorry I can't find it again) a suggest translation was 'non puoi immaginare quanto ti voglia'. I would really like to know the difference between using ti voglio and ti voglia as it does not seem related to gender or verb endings.:confused:

2. Silvia

Silvia Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    It's a subjunctive. Simple as that.

3. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng

Hi LG1789, I think your sentence is wrong and it should have been "Non puoi immaginare quanto ti voglio (io)".
    Voglia is a noun and it means "the desire of doing something"

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Now I see Silvia's answer, and well she is a native...so pay attention to what she says. However I can't understand that sentence in subjunctive either... well, I'll wait for further explanation. ;)
    I've thought of this sentence in Italian using the subjunctive "Che tu mi voglia è impossibile" "Non puoi immaginare quanto (lei/lui) ti voglia" >>> in this case I understand the use of "voglia", but with third person singular not with first person singular.... at least I cannot think of it even in Spanish...

4. LG1789 Junior Member

London
    UK & English
    Got is, so it's just a question of tense and meaning. Thanks

5. LG1789 Junior Member

London
    UK & English
    I had problems because I too would have used voglio, by using the dictionary I wondered if there was a nuance I was not getting. Thanks for you help.

6. Silvia

Silvia Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Yes, LG, it is a nuance.