1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Ti voglio, ti voglio bene

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by biondissima, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biondissima Junior Member

Swedish Sweden
    Per favore, cosa vuole dire: ti voglio tanto (non c'è un bene...)

2. fra3nic

fra3nic Senior Member

Tortona
    Italian-Italy
    It should mean that he wants you a lot!...but generally we say Ti voglio or Ti desidero da impazzire....

3. irene.acler Senior Member

Trento - Italy
    Italiano
    We do say "Ti voglio". And we can also say "Ti voglio da impazzire".

4. dylanG3893

dylanG3893 Senior Member

CA
    United States
    I heard that 'Ti voglio' had a very sexual meaning to it. ?? :confused:

5. irene.acler Senior Member

Trento - Italy
    Italiano
    Yes, it has a sexual meaning! But I think that sometimes it can also have a more general meaning, like the simply "I want to stay with you".

6. Auguri Junior Member

West Coast USA
    USA - english
    After reading all this, I am confused. I thought if you wanted to tell your spouse/fiance/etc. that you loved him, you used "ti voglio bene." And for your children/good friends, you could say "Ti amo." Is the "sexual content" (in "voglio bene") mild so that it is used between the sexes but not for children?? What is the difference between the two expressions? Thanks

7. beauxyeux Senior Member

italy
    italian italy
    We normally don't use "Ti amo" as you do with "I love you" "Ti amo" is normally said to your fiancé/spouse etc. but not to children or very dear relatives. "Ti voglio bene" can be used in both these situations and in the relationship between two people who love each other is less passionate than "ti amo", but probably deeper; anyway it depends on habits.
    For example to me "ti amo" is to be used only with my husband and only in certain situations: very precious and rare moments.
    I use "Ti voglio bene" with my daughters, with my parents, very dear friends. When I use it with my husband it is a kind of deeper love, a real longlasting feeling. To me it is more exhaustive...but this is a very personal opinion, "volersi bene" to me is what you need to live a whole life together. "Amarsi" is just the beginning of it...
    "Ti voglio" has normally got a strong passional sense

8. Auguri Junior Member

West Coast USA
    USA - english
    So, it is really a matter of HOW and WHEN it is said than the actual words? I can tell my husband either "ti amo" or "ti voglio bene," depneding. But for my dear relatives I would say "ti voglio."??? I guess Italian can have just as many confusing meanings as English does...thanks for the explanation. Is there any other expression that you would use for saying a more casual "love you!" to a dear friend when parting?

9. _forumuser_

_forumuser_ Senior Member

New York City
    Italian
    Ti voglio means I want you physically. In some rare cases it can be meant as "you are what I want" (I need you), but most often you will find it used for its primary meaning.
    Ti amo e ti voglio bene mean I love you, I feel for you, you are very dear to me, I am very fond of you.

10. Auguri Junior Member

West Coast USA
    USA - english
    Thanks for clairfying--I must be careful to use the "bene." Appreciate the help!

11. StefanoT

StefanoT Senior Member

Bologna
    Italy, Italian
    Yes, you wouldn't say "ti voglio" to a relative. Anyway, it depends a lot on
    the situation. If you use it as a parting expression and forget to add "bene",
    the other will know what you really mean.

As for parting expressions, it is not common to say something like "I love
    you!". Dear friends would rather kiss each other and say something like "Ci
    sentiamo" ("See you soon / Talk to you later").

12. calezg Junior Member

Italian,Italy
    I think it means "I want you so" or "I want you so much"

13. biondissima Junior Member

Swedish Sweden
    Davvero, grazie a tutti!:) ;)

14. onikami Junior Member

english
    Hello,

I know this is mentioned on the "I love you" thread, but I dont think its got what I want to clarify. Hope this thread does not get closed by the Mods. I really do need this hopefully clarified.

I've just been told this morning by someone who has started taking Italian lessons that you should never say: Ti voglio to relatives or family as it means I want you in a relationship sense. Is this correct? I doubt it and hope someone can clarify/help?

:)

15. housecameron

housecameron Senior Member

Italy
    Italian/ Italy
    Ti voglio to relatives or family as it means I want you in a relationship sense.
    Do you say I want you to your relatives? In what context? :confused:

16. onikami Junior Member

english
    Thanks!

No. My work friend has just started taking lessons and I'm getting confused with Ti voglio and Ti voglio bene.

Both begin with "Ti voglio" and that got me confused.

So just to clarify: Ti voglio should only be used in a relationship sense e.g. boyfriend/girlfriend?

17. housecameron

Italy
    Italian/ Italy
    Ti/Vi voglio bene to relatives/family = I love you (I feel affection for you)
    Ti voglio bene/Ti amo to your girl/boyfriend = I love you
    Ti voglio (alone) just to your girl/boyfriend = I want you

It's correct, we usually don't say ti amo to relatives/family

18. onikami Junior Member

english
    Excellent. Thats very helpful. Thank You!!

19. housecameron

Italy
    Italian/ Italy
    You're welcome!
    I just wrote girl/boyfriend but wife/husband and lovers are also included!
    Bye!
    ;)

20. redcherry69 New Member

english
    Is there a difference, in using 'Te voglio bene assai' or is it 'Ti voglio bene assai'?

21. MünchnerFax

MünchnerFax Senior Member

Germany
    Italian, Italy
    Yes: the former is wrong in standard Italian (but might be correct in some dialects), the latter is right. ;)
    Moreover, assai sounds rather old fashioned. We'd normally say: Ti voglio tanto bene or Ti voglio molto bene.

Welcome. :)

22. redcherry69 New Member

english
    Grazie!

I just heard it from the classic song 'Caruso' so I thought it was right!

23. beauxyeux Senior Member

italy
    italian italy
    Hi redcherry, the wonderful song "Caruso" was written to celebrate the great Enrico Caruso, a famous singer from Naples, so you can also find "Te voglio bene assaje", which is a dialectal form.

24. Ellena Senior Member

California
    USA (California), English
    AHHH!! I love that song and have 5 different renditions of it. Thanks for clearing that up. That explains so much! I'd always wondered why "te voglio bene..." instead of "ti voglio bene". :)

Grazie!

25. brazil07 New Member

english
    Hi, I'm so confused - so many examples, what would this translate to? Ti voglio veramente tanto bene.

26. TrentinaNE Senior Member

USA
    English (American)
    Ciao, brazil07.

"veramente tanto" is just a modifier meaning "truly a lot", so the entire sentence Ti voglio veramente tanto bene means "I really love you a lot" or "I'm really very, very fond of you." :)

Elisabetta

27. shar1275

shar1275 New Member

Brooklyn, NY
    USA, English
    :)Ciao!
    Personally, I have never heard "assai" used with "Ti voglio bene." Some might say "ti voglio molto bene."

28. frangho Junior Member

italy
    Ti voglio : I want you
    Ti voglio bene : I want "good" for you

29. happy-too Senior Member

Dallas, Texas
    American English
    And if after all this you are not enlightened enough ;) you can always check out THIS thread.

30. Renato Attilio New Member

Italia italiano
    Ti voglio morbosamente

31. moro_of_venice Senior Member

Grado
    Italia italian
    Assai is very or a lot
    This is dialectal form from Napoli
    "Te" classical dialectal
    The second sentence is a mix of dialect ( assai at end or phrase) and "Ti" correct Italian

32. thailovesitalian New Member

Thailand
    Thailand,Thai
    Oh this tread is soooo useful for me!
    Grazie mille!!!!!!

Well,I've been always curious about this word ' ti voglio bene '
    If the person I like said that, does it really mean ' I love you ' or ' I want you '?
    Or ' I care for you'???
    And Italian people will generally say this word ( in the way to flirt), or it's such the important precious word that will be said when its really special?

33. vronnieka New Member

Thailand
    Bilingual: Italian-English
    Te voglio bene assai is actually not correct in Italian.It's supposed to be Neapolitan, the dialect from Naples.The meaning is exactly the same, but it's a dialect, so you should use Ti voglio bene assai, or Ti voglio tanto bene to be even more correct.

34. robfromitaly Junior Member

Nord Italia
    Italiano, Nord Italia
    'Te voglio bene assai' : napoletano!
    "Ti voglio bene assai" : italiano ma "assai" è poco usato oggi in questo contesto

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.