1. searss New Member

United States
    I'm not exactly sure when I should use ti and when I should use tu. I think that ti indicates possession and tu refers to the person, but I think I have seen exceptions. Can someone please clarify that for me?

Steve

2. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Can you understand the difference between yo and ? The former means "I" and the latter means "me". In grammatical terms, one is a subject pronoun and the other is an object pronoun. It's the same with (subject) and ti (object). English uses the same word for "you"-subject and "you"-object, but in Spanish they are different.

3. juancamant Junior Member

Canada
    Este regalo es para tí.
    Tú, Carlos, me diste el regalo.
    Tu hermano Carlos me dio el regalo.
    A tí te voy a dar un regalo.
    Tu cumpleaños es en enero
    Tú cumples años en enero

4. germandelsur Senior Member

Ushuaia
    Argentina
    I can give a couple of examples:

"They always remember you"... siempre se acuerdan de .
    "You have gone to the cinema yesterday, really?... has ido al cine ayer, verdad?

5. jinti

jinti Senior Member

Some quick hints:

If it's the subject of the sentence, use (note the accent mark) or skip the subject altogether since the verb ending indicates it.

If it's showing possession (as in your bag, your idea), use tu (note there's no accent).

If it comes after a preposition in Spanish (a, de, para, etc.), use ti.

6. JB

JB Senior Member

Santa Monica, CA, EEUU
    English (AE)
    Your question is a good one. As jinti already said, it is critical to pay attention to the accent mark.
    I see you are new to the forum. Before posting a question, please make use of the Dictionary Look-up at the top of the page.
    If you enter ti and click on Spanish-English, you see a list of definitions and examples, followed by a long list of threads, each with multiple posts, discussing this usage.

Then do the same with tu (with or without the accent).
    If you click on the various links (those that look interesting to you) you will find a wealth of reading on this topic. If you click on the "more" at the bottom of the list, you will find even more.

Suerte.

P.S. There was a movie Y tu mamá también., which means And your mother, too.
    If you change the accent marks to Y tú mama, también the sentence becomes, And you suck, too.
    Punctuation matters.

7. Chikitulfo Junior Member

Aachen - Germany
    Español - Spain
    Tú is the subject of the sentence: "Tú tienes un perro" (you have a dog)
    Tu is a possessive pronoun: "tu casa" (your house)
    Tí means that you are the object in a sentence, and is usually preceded by a preposition. "a tí"(to you) "para tí"(for you) "por tí"(by you)

8. Jellby

Jellby Senior Member

Spanish (Spain)
    Careful everyone.

"Tú", as a subject pronoun, has an accent: Tú me haces reír.
    "Tu" is a possessive pronoun and does not have an accent: tu hermano me hace reír.
    "Ti" does never have an accent: Esto lo hago por ti.

9. kulevae New Member

Toms River,NJ,USA
    Russian/English
    Thank you ,your answer was very helpful:)