1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

tie out

Discussion in 'Financial Terms' started by Maridc, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Maridc

Maridc Junior Member

Argentina
    Spanish - Argentina
    Hi everyone,

I need to translate an email whose subject is "Preliminary actual vs actual".

The sender says:
    "It appears as though your profit from pre actual-357 does not match actual-386. Can you look at this and tie these out?"

The receiver answers:
    The correct profit is 386.

Then, the sender asnwers back:
    "Thank you. We are all tied out"

I can't find a meaning for tie out...

I guess it means something like "to make sth coincide" (coincidir) in the first sentence (not sure, though). But what about the second sentence? What do you think?

Thank you for your time.

2. antorcan Senior Member

Toronto
    English - Jamaica and Canada
    In English we often say that the numbers/figures "agree" or "tally". As you can see in one of the emails, "match" is also used.

Would that be "concordar" in Spanish?

In the passive voice, I think that you could say that they "are reconciled".

"Tied out" is pretty lame English, if you ask me. The sender means "Thank you. We are (now) completely reconciled".

3. Spug Senior Member

You must not be an accountant. :)

Maridc, to tie out se dice mucho en inglés entre los contables. Quiere decir cuadrar. Por ejemplo, "Our figures tie out." (Nuestros números cuadran.)

Espero que te sirva... saludos.

4. jcwoos Senior Member

english
    Estoy de acuerdo con Spug, "tie-out" se usa comunmente para conciliar. Es el concepto de atar un numero a otro. Tambien de acuerdo con antorcan que en este caso el use de la frase no fué no normal porque el autor no está pidiendo una conciliación entre 357 y 386, está preguntando cual está correcto. Yo creo que "verify" y "verified" habria hecho mas sentido en Inglés y "verificar" y "verficado" expresarian la idea correcta en Español.

5. Maridc

Maridc Junior Member

Argentina
    Spanish - Argentina
    Thank you antorcan, spug and jcwoos for your clear explanation! The meaning should be included in dictionaries...

I guess I got confused with the word "all" (we are all tied out), I got the wrong impression that the person was meaning something else.

Antorcan, yes, "to match" could be translated as "concordar, coincidir".

Thanks again :)

Seasons Greetings