1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. agaur

agaur Junior Member

Santa Perpètua de Mogoda-Barcelona
    Spain- Spanish & Catalan
    Necesito saber exactamente cómo se traduciría "timbre de voz".
    La frase es la siguiente: Intenté utilizar diferentes tipos de entonación y cambié el timbre de voz.

Gracias

2. Sonn3883 Senior Member

United States of America, English
    Hi aguar,
    I believe in the context of your sentence, the best way to translate "timbre de voz" is "tone of voice." In English, after translating the entire sentence, it might sound a bit redundant though, with "intonation" being directly followed by "tone of voice." And honestly, after looking up the two terms in the dictionary, they seem rather synonymous. Can you describe the difference between the two qualities the original text is trying to distinguish? Maybe then a better translation can be provided for you.

Best Regards.

3. agaur

agaur Junior Member

Spain- Spanish & Catalan
    Con "entonación" (intonation) me refiero a la modulación de la voz, si es ascendente o descendente. Por ejemplo, usamos una entonación ascendente cuando hacemos una pregunta. Con el timbre me refiere a la calidad de la voz, si es grave o aguda. Espero que la explicación sirva de algo.

4. Sonn3883 Senior Member

United States of America, English
    OK. In that case, what if you try translating it this way:

"I tried using different styles of ascending and descending voice modulation, and also changed the tone of (my?) voice as well."

I know it's a little more wordy than the original text in Spanish, but I think it may be a better option because it doesn't sound redundant or ambiguous.

It's just a suggestion. I'm sorry I'm the only one who has replied to your thread so far. I hope others reply to your post so you can get a broader variety of perspectives on your translation.

Best wishes.

5. linmorwen

linmorwen Senior Member

Spanish - Argentina
    Hi! I'd write it like this:

"I tried using different styles of ascending and descending voice modulation, and also changed my tone of voice as well."

Cheers!

6. agaur

agaur Junior Member

Spain- Spanish & Catalan
    Thank you for your suggestions!