1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

time is gold(en)

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Roshini, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Roshini Senior Member

Malaysia
    Is it 'time is gold', or 'time is golden' ? Which one is right? I'm actually quite good in english but when I mingle with people who speak 'incredible' english, mine just deteriorates! I often get mixed up with these kind of phrases. Can someone please help me? Thank you in advance.

2. KateNicole Senior Member

Miami, Florida
    English (USA)
    I've never heard that phrase. It sounds to me like "el tiempo es oro" in Spanish, which literally means time is gold.......but the idiom in English is "time is money" as far as I'm concerned. Also, your English seems good!

3. Roshini Senior Member

Malaysia
    Oh thank you very much. 'Time is money', i've heard that before. But then again, is it time is gold or golden? thanks again.

4. KateNicole Senior Member

Miami, Florida
    English (USA)
    I don't know how to answer you because I've never heard that expression before. Sorry!

5. Roshini Senior Member

Malaysia
    Its ok Kate. Thank you so much for your help anyway. Have a nice day!

Is it 'time is gold', or 'time is golden' ? Which one is right? I'm actually quite good in english but when I mingle with people who speak 'incredible' english, mine just deteriorates! I often get mixed up with these kind of phrases. Can someone please help me? Thank you in advance.

6. wilsocn1 Senior Member

United States
    United States - English
    Never heard of the expression.

7. maxiogee Senior Member

imithe
    Time is money
    Silence is golden

I have never heard anything which equated time with gold/golden.

8. Roshini Senior Member

Malaysia
    Okey. Nevermind. Thanks people. Just wanted to clear my doubts.

9. nycphotography

nycphotography Senior Member

I do be learnin stuff
    John-Paul Miller, NYC
    generally it is:

[some particular] time is golden.

Quiet time is golden.
    Quality time is golden.

It's somewhat archaic / idiomatic, used in a philosophical sense, to mean treasured.

10. Roshini Senior Member

Malaysia
    Thank you. Its just that I overheard someone say that. I have never heard of it before as well, that's why I just had to ask as soon as possible. Thanks everyone.

11. river Senior Member

U.S. English
    "Time is gold" or "Time is golden" is an Albanian proverb that roughly translates to "Time is money."

12. nycphotography

nycphotography Senior Member

I do be learnin stuff
    John-Paul Miller, NYC
    In English, time is golden and time is money have come to have different nuances.

In the latter, one is reminded not to waste time with unproductive activities. In the former, one os reminded not to forget to fully appreciate those unproductive activities.

13. river Senior Member

U.S. English