1. seg Senior Member

DFW, Texas
    Spanish
    I need help with this phrase, PLEASE. I don't know why it doesn't sound correct to me. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! This is for a Student Code of Conduct. I am not sure if "filed" in this context actually means "considerado/entregado/sometido" rather than "archivado".

General Provisions:
    Complaint forms and appeal notices may be filed by hand-delivery, fax, or U.S. Mail. Hand-delivered filings shall be timely filed if received by the appropriate administrator or designee by the close of business on the deadline.

Los formularios de queja y avisos de apelación pueden ser sometidos en persona, via fax o por correo. Dichos formularios o avisos entregados en persona serán considerados a tiempo si son recibidos por el administrador apropiado o la persona designada antes de la conclusión del día laboral de la fecha límite.

¡Muchísimas gracias!
    Sandra

2. WyomingSue Senior Member

Cheyenne, WY
    English--USA
    Es mala gramática en inglés. Mejor en inglés: " Hand-delivered filings shall be considered on-time [or timely] if received ...". Así que en español has mejorado la gramática. Lo que escribiste en rojo está bien.

3. seg Senior Member

DFW, Texas
    Spanish
    Thank you very much, WyomingSue! That's what I was thinking also.

While I was waiting for a reply, I came up with yet another possibility. Do you think "timely filed" may mean "timely registered" in this context? Hmmmmm?

Sandra

4. WyomingSue Senior Member

Cheyenne, WY
    English--USA
    Well, in the context of complaints "registered" and "filed" would have the same meaning, but "to file a complaint" is the most usual expression in the States (I see you are south of me!).

5. seg Senior Member

DFW, Texas
    Spanish
    I completely agree with you! And yes, I am in Texas just north of the Dallas/Fort Worth area (and south of you).

Thanks again!
    Sandra

6. godelcah Senior Member

Monterrey, México
    Mexican Spanish
    considerados como presentados en tiempo y forma
    usando una forma más jurídica.

7. WyomingSue Senior Member

Cheyenne, WY
    English--USA
    Good to know, Godelcah. I will file that phrase away on my list of terms.