Times New Roman for the classical Greek

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by Sniegurochka, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Sniegurochka

Sniegurochka Senior Member

Waco, Texas
    Russian
    Hello. I read the post on installing the classical Greek keyboard, and have Greek Polytonic installed. I am using Windows 7. I know the post recommends Palatino Linotype. What I am wondering is whether there is a way to use Times New Roman. There are all the diacritical marks variations available for Times New Roman through Insert> Symbol>Greek and Coptic (or Greek Extended), which is an incredible hassle, given the amount of work I need to accomplish. Doesn’t it mean that this font also supports the classical Greek? How can I enter them using the keyboard? The dead keys layouts in your posts do not correlate with what I am getting using Times New Roman. Is there a way to access various layouts and key combinations for diacritical marks from within Word, to get the actual settings as they are at the moment? I poked around, and can actually get letters with diacritical marks sometimes, but haven’t figured out what the system is. Since there is apparently the capability already available, all I need is the layout. I need this for my dissertation where English and Greek are used, and the consistency of using one font for both is paramount. Can anyone please help? Thank you!

2. Eltheza

Eltheza Senior Member

Worcestershire, UK
    English - England (Midlands)
  3. Acestor

Acestor Senior Member

Athens
    Greek
    Hi. Times New Roman is not a polytonic font and therefore you can have an accented ά / Ά but you cannot have any of these other combinations:

[This is Lucida Sans Unicode]

ἈἉἊἋἌἍἎἏᾺἀἁἂἃἄἅἆἇὰᾶᾼᾈᾉᾊᾋᾌᾍᾎᾏᾳᾀᾁᾂᾃᾄᾅᾆᾇᾲᾷᾴ

4. Αγγελος Senior Member

Greek
    I don't see why you should have a problem. Times New Roman, at least as installed on my Windows 7 PC, includes all polytonic Greek characters at the same code points as Lucida or Palatino. For instance, ὦ is hexadecimal 1F66 in all three fonts (that's part of the Unicode standard). And I would imagine Microsoft's polytonic Greek keyboard driver worked the same regardless of choice of font -- after all, all it produces is codes, i.e. numbers!
    Also, if you write a string of Greek such as αἀἂἃὰᾶ in any font capable of displaying them and then selct them and change font, you should get the same string in another font, thus: αἀἂἃὰᾶ (Palatino Linotype), αἀἂἃὰᾶ (Times New Roman), αἀἂἃὰᾶ (Tahoma)...
    You mention Word. Are you sure you don't have some funny automatic font substitutions running? All too often, Word tries to second-guess the writer's intentions and interferes annoyingly with what you write -- but most such functions can be deactivated.

5. Acestor

Acestor Senior Member

Athens
    Greek
    Angelos, you're right. Times New Roman for Windows 7 includes all polytonic Greek characters. I think Sniegurochka should check to see she has the correct version of the font, i.e. Times New Roman should be about 817k.