Tips on how to pronounce an 'r' sound in British English

Discussion in 'English Only' started by treebarks, Dec 26, 2008.

1. treebarks New Member

I have always pronounced my 'r' sounds, e.g. red, rope etc, with my top teeth lightly touching my bottom lip. But I've been told this is wrong, and that I need to use my tongue instead. So my question is, do the lips play no part in producing an 'r' sound?

PS. I put British English as I'm not sure if there are differences in how they are pronounced in American English.
  2. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

English - England
    There are also differences from place to place, and from person to person, in Britain, Tree.
  3. treebarks New Member

But I'm assuming that the 'r' in 'Britain' and 'tree' are pronounced with the tongue? Not with the top teeth and bottom lip?
  4. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Hello, treebarks, and welcome to the forums:)

As teddy says, this is something that will vary from region to region and person to person. Who has told you that your pronunciation is wrong, and are they from a different part of the UK from you?
  5. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Questions like this are very difficult to answer in a written forum.

In the sticky thread at the top of this forum there are links to other sites that give details of pronunciation, including symbols, sound clips and animations.
    6. Pronunciation and International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) notation - here.

For example:
    g) View animations of phoneme pronunciations at Phonetics: the sounds of American English (with thanks to PolCas)

There, if you select consonant, manner, liquid, /r/ you will see and hear r being pronounced. Although it is an AE site and the voice is an AE voice, it is valid for much of BE as well.