Tirando uma

Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by Carioca707, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Carioca707

Carioca707 New Member

English
    The phrase is not in any of my dictionaries. I have heard that it means "to mock, make fun of". Do you agree? Any other

meanings?

tirando uma

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2013
  2. mglenadel

mglenadel Senior Member

Rio de Janeiro
    Brazilian Portuguese
    There is always the literal meaning (removing a female-gendered thing), but in regular conversation it would mean "mock", "tease", as you have already found out.

3. coolbrowne Senior Member

Bethesda, MD - USA
    Português-BR/English-US bilingual
    Actually, it's not possible to answer with certainty without knowing the context
    The verbal expression "tirar uma" may be paired with other words to generate different meanings. Once we are given the actual sentence where it was found, it should be possible to determine whether it means "to mock" or something else.

Thank you

4. Joca

Joca Senior Member

Florianópolis, Brazil
    Brazilian Portuguese
    Right on, we could use some context. "Tirar uma" can also mean, for example: to show off, to brag about something, to have a snobbish attitute about something ...

5. Carioca707

Carioca707 New Member

English
    Muito obrigado.

6. coolbrowne Senior Member

Bethesda, MD - USA
    Português-BR/English-US bilingual
    You are welcome, Carioca707!

I'm glad that you appear to be satisfied with the information you got, so far. However, thinking of forum members that could find this thread in their future searches, might you find the time to indulge us and supply the context? This way we might even reach a conclusive translation, which will server other forum members as well.

Thank you