titulaciones universitarias tercer ciclo

Discussion in 'Specialized Terminology' started by Vanda, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    Hi there,

I'd like to know how the titles for the third degree are classified in Spain. I mean after graduation . Is there any other title between "máster" and "doctorado" 's degree?

I am looking for a correspondence for this title : livre docência-
    The person enters a contest, undergoes a written test, prepares a thesis and defends it. It is not the Máster title though. After receiving this specific title, the person is 2nd in the academic career to the owner of the upper Professor position within that area in the Universtiy.

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find a thread on the matter. Mods feel free to move it if the question is in wrong thread.

: education
  2. Summer_rose Senior Member

Barcelona, España
    Español/España
    Hi Vanda.

In Spain the "master" title is recently being introduced. Till now the only intermediate status between "graduated" and "doctor" was "to be in possession of the DEA" (Diploma de Estudios Avanzados=advanced studies diploma). To get the DEA you have to prepare a small summary of the work developed during your first two years of doctoral studies and uphold it in front of a board of examiners.

Thus, the DEA is pretty equivalent to the new "master" title (in fact, the DEA will disappear once the "master" is completely established). As I said, as far as I know (as a second year phD student), there's no other intermediate title, so I guess there is no direct equivalence to the "livre docencia" one.

I hope this information is useful for you. Best regards. Javier.

3. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    Very useful Javier. :) I was afraid I wouldn't find this answer.

Muchisimas gracias,

Vanda

4. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    May I abuse of your help? :D What would the scale titles for professors be? I mean in the tercer ciclo. Are they all, just professors, independently if they have a Máster or Doctorado degree ?

If you can help again, I'll apreciate it so much. :)

5. Summer_rose Senior Member

Barcelona, España
    Español/España
    Of course, there are different categories of professors. Doctors can be "Profesor ayudante doctor", "Profesor contratado doctor", "Profesor titular" or "Catedrático". People without a Doctor degree can teach as "Ayudante", "Profesor colaborador" or "Profesor asociado".

This is a quite bureaucratic matter, so I'm afraid I can't give many details about the specific characteristics of each position. If you understand some Spanish, I would take a look to the in force Law (Ley Orgánica de Universidades, Título IX, Capítulo I) , which you can download e.g. from [SIZE=-1]www.ucm.es/info/otri/descargas/lou.pdf
    [/SIZE]
    Best regards. [SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE]

6. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    Javier, tu eres el salvador de la pátria! :) Yo no pude encontrar aquel tipo de enlace sola. Voy leerlo con atención!

De nuevo, muchisimas gracias!