Titulo usus

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by Nyx92, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Nyx92 New Member

Castellano, español
    Hello everyone:

I'm trying to translate some latin inscriptions and I've found something I haven't seen before. The end of the epigraph says: D TITVL VSVS D and I explain it as D(ECRETO) TITVL(O) VSVS D(ECVRIONVM), I know "titulus" means inscription, but I'm not totally sure about the meaning in Spanish/English of these words joined together (titulo usus) nor about their correct declension case (ablative, maybe?).

Any kind of help will be appreciated, thank you.

2. exgerman Senior Member

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    Here's a discussion in Dutch (at 3.1.4). It says that it is similar in meaning to honore usus, with titulo meaning honore, not inscription.

Section 3.1.3 discusses the meaning of honore usus.

3. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

Reading, UK
    English - UK
    Greetings,

I am no epigraphist, and have no instantly complete answer to Nyx92's question, but TITVLO VSVS is indeed, with various abbreviations (Dessau's indices in ILS are a wonderful treasure-store of wisdom, but I have nothing else to hand), a regular formula, and not obviously (pace exgerman's suggestion in #2) synonymous with honore usus, which as I understand it would be tantamount to honore functus, vel sim. So perhaps Nyx92 could give us the entire text and indicate whatever is known of its date and provenance?

4. exgerman Senior Member

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    Replacing an intemperate post with the quotation from section 3.1.4 of Tituli honorarii, monumentale eregedenktekens. which I should have included in #2 above. Section 3 discusses the following honorifics: Honore accepto, (tabula) libens accepi, Honore contentus/-a, Contentus, Honore habito, Honore recepto, Honorem suscipere, honorem libens suscipere, honore suscepto, honore usus, Titulo usus/usa, and Libenter adquiescit:
    Which means, I think---my Dutch is largely guesswork:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012