1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

to be a living corpse

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by Encolpius, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    How do you say that idiom in your language?

Hungarian: élő halott [living dead]
    German: lebender Leichnam [living corpse]
    Czech: živá mrtvola [living corpse]

2. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    Russian: живой труп /jivoy trup/ - living corpse

(that was the title of a play by Leo Tolstoy written in the eraly 1900s - I believe the expression is mostly known from that).

3. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    Czech: also živoucí mrtvola (which is the title of Tolstoy's play in Czech)

Latin: vivum cadaver
    Slovak: živá mŕtvola

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  4. apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    In Greek:

«Ζωντανός-νεκρός» [zonda'nos ne'kros] --> living dead

Adj. «ζωντανός, -νή, -νό» [zonda'nos] (masc.), [zonda'ni] (fem.), [zonda'no] (neut.) < Byz. adj. «ζωντανός» < Classical present tense, active voice, participle «ζῶν» zōn --> he who lives (verb «ζήω/ζῶ» zḗō (uncontracted) / zō (contracted), Ιonic «ζώω» zṓō --> to live; PIE *gʷíh₃we, to live) + adjective-forming suffix «-ανός» [-a'nos].

Adj. «νεκρός, -ή, -ό» [ne'kros] (masc.), [ne'kri] (fem.), [ne'kro] (neut.) --> dead < Classical adj. «νεκρός, νεκρὰ, νεκρόν» nĕkrós (masc.), nĕkrà (fem.), nĕkrón (neut.) --> dead (poetic «νέκυς, νέκυια, νέκυν» nékus (masc.), nékuiă (fem.), nékun (neut.) --> dead, feminine form also necromancy); PIE *nek, death, dead cf Skt. नश्यति (nAzyati), to lose, perish; Lat. nocēre, to hurt, injure > It. nuocere, Fr. nuire, Eng. noxious.

The title of Tolstoy's play in Greek is «Το ζωντανό πτώμα» [to zonda'no 'ptoma] --> "The living corpse"

Neut. noun «πτώμα» ['ptoma] < Classical neut. noun «πτῶμα» ptômă --> corpse, fallen in battle/in wrestling (PIE *pet- (2), to fall, tumble)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  5. AutumnOwl

AutumnOwl Senior Member

Sweden
    Swedish - Sweden, Finnish
    Swedish:
    Levande död
    - living dead

6. Määränpää

Määränpää Senior Member

Finnish
    Finnish:

elävä kuollut
    (living dead)

Personally, I'd say I'm a zombie (Finnish pronunciation: /tsombi/) before my morning coffee.

7. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    Norwegian:

levende død (living dead)
    I agree with you Määränpää. :thumbsup:

In large part due to the success of the television program "The Walking Dead" here in the U.S., the first word that comes to mind when I think of "living dead" is zombie. :D