to be a living corpse

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by Encolpius, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Praha (Prague)
    magyar (Hungarian)
    How do you say that idiom in your language?

Hungarian: élő halott [living dead]
    German: lebender Leichnam [living corpse]
    Czech: živá mrtvola [living corpse]
  2. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    Russian: живой труп /jivoy trup/ - living corpse

(that was the title of a play by Leo Tolstoy written in the eraly 1900s - I believe the expression is mostly known from that).
  3. bibax Senior Member

Czech: also živoucí mrtvola (which is the title of Tolstoy's play in Czech)

Latin: vivum cadaver
    Slovak: živá mŕtvola
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  4. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

In Greek:

«Ζωντανός-νεκρός» [zonda'nos ne'kros] --> living dead

Adj. «ζωντανός, -νή, -νό» [zonda'nos] (masc.), [zonda'ni] (fem.), [zonda'no] (neut.) < Byz. adj. «ζωντανός» < Classical present tense, active voice, participle «ζῶν» zōn --> he who lives (verb «ζήω/ζῶ» zḗō (uncontracted) / zō (contracted), Ιonic «ζώω» zṓō --> to live; PIE *gʷíh₃we, to live) + adjective-forming suffix «-ανός» [-a'nos].

Adj. «νεκρός, -ή, -ό» [ne'kros] (masc.), [ne'kri] (fem.), [ne'kro] (neut.) --> dead < Classical adj. «νεκρός, νεκρὰ, νεκρόν» nĕkrós (masc.), nĕkrà (fem.), nĕkrón (neut.) --> dead (poetic «νέκυς, νέκυια, νέκυν» nékus (masc.), nékuiă (fem.), nékun (neut.) --> dead, feminine form also necromancy); PIE *nek, death, dead cf Skt. नश्यति (nAzyati), to lose, perish; Lat. nocēre, to hurt, injure > It. nuocere, Fr. nuire, Eng. noxious.

The title of Tolstoy's play in Greek is «Το ζωντανό πτώμα» [to zonda'no 'ptoma] --> "The living corpse"

Neut. noun «πτώμα» ['ptoma] < Classical neut. noun «πτῶμα» ptômă --> corpse, fallen in battle/in wrestling (PIE *pet- (2), to fall, tumble)
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  5. AutumnOwl

AutumnOwl Senior Member

Swedish - Sweden, Finnish
    Levande död
    - living dead
  6. Määränpää

Määränpää Senior Member

elävä kuollut
    (living dead)

Personally, I'd say I'm a zombie (Finnish pronunciation: /tsombi/) before my morning coffee.
  7. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States

levende død (living dead)
    I agree with you Määränpää. :thumbsup:

In large part due to the success of the television program "The Walking Dead" here in the U.S., the first word that comes to mind when I think of "living dead" is zombie. :D