"to be fond of VS to love"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by unconventional fruit, May 8, 2010.

1. unconventional fruit New Member

italian; english
    Hi all. What is the difference between "to be fond of" and "to love"? I know they mean almost the sam thing, but I was wandering which one is stronger or deeper. For example, can somebody "be fond of" a friend? Or: can I say "I'm fond of my hausband"? and does it mean something different from "I love my hausband"?
    thank you
  2. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

English - England
    Love is stronger and deeper.
  3. unconventional fruit New Member

italian; english
    thank you. Is also "be fond of" something less serious, so to say, than "love"?
  4. jackaustralia Senior Member

Australia English
    They mean quiet different things. What Se16teddy says is correct. To be fond of someone or something is to quiet like it. Whatever it is makes you comfortable and gives some pleasure. To say you love is more serious. Two things though:

(1) You can use love loosely. I love chocolate, for example, is different to saying I have found my true love.
    (2) You can, and usually would, be fond of someone you love. Being fond for someone though does not, in itself, imply love.

I hope this helps.
  5. George French Senior Member

English - UK
    Note that we use both word for inanimate objects as well.

6. unconventional fruit New Member

italian; english
    thank you again. I'm afraid I can't understand -though- in which sense I can be fond of someone without loving it....could you give me some examples?
  7. jackaustralia Senior Member

Australia English
    Look, what makes it confusing is that in everyday language we can say we 'love' something which is probably really to say we are fond of something not using it in the romantic sense. If I say "I love chocolate", for example. This is quiet different to saying you love your partner.

The other thing to keep in mind is that I don't think they are interchangable, 'to be fond of' has a more narrow meaning. As I have already said for a thing it means it gives you sensual pleasure (taste, visual) or makes you comfortable. For a person it means you like aspects of their character, feel comfortable with them, value them and are a good friend or lover. Love is more than this and if used romantically means there is an attraction, more than physical, an intimacy and many things shared in common and perhaps a base of friendship. It could be defined differently.
  8. iskndarbey Senior Member

Lima, Perú
    US, English
    If you say "I'm rather fond of my husband", you should probably be looking for a new husband.
  9. nzfauna

nzfauna Senior Member

Wellington, New Zealand
    New Zealand, English
    I'm fond of creme brulee. I'm fond of my aunty.

I love my husband.

If my husband said that he was "fond" of me, instead of "loved" me, I would be offended and hurt.
  10. Cypherpunk Senior Member

Springdale, AR
    US, English
    This is interesting. Sometimes the two phrases can be used in a quite different way, yet the essential meanings of both are quite clear. For example, let's say that my family argues often, and members of my family say or do mean things. I would still love them (have a life-long relationship with them and care about them), even though I might not like the things they do. However, if I have a particular niece, nephew, or cousin that I like to spend time with, I could say that I'm quite fond of that niece, nephew, or cousin. I love (care deeply about) all the members of my family, but I am fond of (actually enjoy spending time with) one or two of them.