1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

to be in over my head

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Wind_of_fall, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Wind_of_fall

Wind_of_fall Senior Member

Lima
    Peru Spanish
    is it "to be in over my head" or "to be over my head"

I undertsnad you say it when you're in a situation which is too difficult for you to understand...but I had a doubt. I don't know how to say it...I was thinking I heard it wrong...? By the way , is it correct to say " I had a doubt"?
    Thanks in advance :)

2. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    This is when you are in a situation that is out of control, or that is too difficult to manage or control (like Sean says).

Ex.
    "I have been betting money on horse races for several months now. But, right now, I'm in over my head! I have lost so much money."

Ex.
    "You don't want to fall in love with him. He's dangerous, and loves to break rules. Soon enough, you'll fall in love with him and be in over your head!"

Ex.
    "I decided to take a job that I wasn't prepared for. I have no idea what I'm doing. I feel like I'm in over my head."

Yes.

3. sean

sean Senior Member

USA English
    I think if something is "over your head," it is too difficult or obscure to understand.

They were talking about psychology, and the conversation was way over my head.
    He told a joke, and I didn't get it. The punchline went right over my head.

If you are "in over your head," a situation is too difficult to manage or handle.
    Any of the examples Venus wrote illustrates this situation perfectly.

"I have a doubt" is absolutely right and understood, but I generally tend to say "I have a question" about something.

Best,

sean

4. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    Yes, I agree with Sean.

I wasn't clear about which you were asking about. Now, I know.

Agreed again! :thumbsup:

5. Wind_of_fall

Lima
    Peru Spanish
    wow guys, you must be teachers or something like that because I'm learning so much from you two...lol
    Thanks a lot! :)
    I hope I can help you two with something in Spanish one day!
    God bless

6. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    Look for me in the Spanish forum. I always need help! :D

7. Wind_of_fall

Lima
    Peru Spanish
    All right Venus..I'll look for you.... wait for me because I'm coming to help you ...lol

8. sean

sean Senior Member

USA English
    You guys can both help me out with Spanish because I struggle. See you all there.