To be interested 'in' sth

Discussion in 'Magyar (Hungarian)' started by hashamyim, Jul 24, 2012.

1. hashamyim Junior Member

English / England
    Dear All,

I'm trying to translate the phrase 'to be interested in sth' ​and have come up with 'érdekli vmi'. However, this would suggest that the verb 'érdekli vmi' doesn't take a preposition, but is rather a transitive verb with an accusative object? Is this correct?! So, in Hungarian you are just 'interested something' rather than 'interested in something'?

Your help is very much appreciated,

Hashamyim

2. hashamyim Junior Member

English / England
    Or, on the basis that 'something' (valami) is infact 'valamit' in the accusative, does the verb take an object in the nominative case without a preposition?

3. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungary
    Hungarian - Hungary
    Hello hashamyim and welcome to our forum:)

There is neither accusative, nor preposition involved because you could say that the structure is more like this (translated word by word): "something interests him".
    So the "something" (alias "in something" in English) is really the subject of the sentence.

See also:
    Ez érdekel. - I am interested in this. (This tickles my fancy - if you wanted a structure closer in English and if the context allows it.:))
    Mi érdekel (ebben)? - What do you find interesting (in this)? (Just to illustrate that "in" could be involved but only in its usual meaning.)

4. hashamyim Junior Member

English / England
    Oh thanks Zsanna! That's really helpful - thank you for the explanation :)

5. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungary
    Hungarian - Hungary
    You are welcome.
    Ready for the others.:)