1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

to be like an elephant in a china shop

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by viperilla, Nov 17, 2011.

1. viperilla New Member

italian
    hi everyone! i'd love to know if is there any russian translation for the proverb "to be like an elephant in a china shop".Thank you so much!

2. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Как слон в посудной лавке

3. Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    Для студентов английского языка следует заметить, что правильное выражение like a bull in a china shop .

4. morzh

morzh Senior Member

USA
    Russian
    Yes, it is "a bull" in English.

And it is "слон / elephant" in many other languages.

5. Kokica New Member

Serbian
    Note also that the reference you gave says a bull is a male of an elephant :) It's "a bull in a china shop" and "an elephant in a china store".

6. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Yes, and even of a whale and alligator. What's wrong?

7. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    I thought it was a male of the species Bos taurus, only, not castrated. Apparently, bull also applies to male elephants, and cow to female elephants. The young elephant can be called a calf. However, the proverb probably mentions a real bull - Bos taurus.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  8. Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    A male elephant is, indeed, a bull elephant, and the female elephant is a cow, but you would have to say bull elephant (not just bull) if the reference was to an elephant. And why would a bull elephant be any more careless than a cow elephant? In fact, elephants are known to be particularly careful, not careless, despite their size, and will carefully step over an obstacle rather than on it if they can.

The image in this phrase is definitely, as LilianaB points out, to Bos taurus.

9. morzh

morzh Senior Member

USA
    Russian
    Yes, "a bull" without specifying the species stands for the bull of the same species whose bronze sculpture is at the NYSE entrance. :)

It may stand for a "bull elephant" without the "elephant" part if the topic is the elephants.

10. Kokica New Member

Serbian
    Nothing's wrong. It was a joke.

11. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    It is not a joke: male alligators and whales are called bull: bull alligator and bull whale.

12. Kokica New Member

Serbian
    I wasn't talking to you. Sorry for the confusion. The original question was about "an elephant in achina shop". Then Morzh corrected it as "a bull in a china shop" and also gave reference to Oxford Dictionary definition which explains that a bull is a male of an elephant. I just made a pun. And I also said there are two versions: "like a bull in a china shop" and "like an elephant in a china store". That's all.

13. Educational Junior Member

Rome, Italy
    Italian
    Good stuff. Thank you.