1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

to be one to

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by unamigo, May 11, 2013.

1. unamigo Junior Member

Russian
    Hello,
    Would you help to translate this phrase:
    I am not one to talk about what is going on with my colleagues and the other clubs,

My attempt: я не тот человек с кем стоит говорить о том что происходит с моими коллегами и другими клубами

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  2. Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    I think it's "я не тот человек, который ..."

(Source - sovsport.ru) Мария Шарапова: "Я не тот человек, который сдается" - "I'm not one to throw in the towel" (= give up)
    (Source - sports.ru) Рафаэль Надаль: «Я не тот человек, который будет недоволен этим кортом» - "I'm not one to complain about this court"
    (Source: ostro.org) Президент просто не хочет создавать ситуацию, при которой он поддался на давление журналистов - чисто психологически он не тот человек, на которого можно нахально давить... - "At a purely psychological level, he is not one to give in to crude intimidation ..."
    (Source: Smena.ru) "...я могу сказать, что он не тот человек, который пошел бы на самоубийство..." "I can tell you he was not one to commit suicide ..."

3. Sobakus Senior Member

По смыслу - так, но звучит несколько дословно и расплывчато. Насколько я понимаю, у английского выражения может быть несколько значений:

1)Не моё место обсуждать это/говорить об этом/... (это невежливо)
    Не мне говорить/обсуждать/... (также значение 2)

2)Я не тот, с кем стоит говорить/обсуждать/... (я не знаю этого)
    Я не тот человек, с кем стоит говорить/...
    <Об этом/...> лучше говорить не со мной.
    Не мне говорить/обсуждать/... (также значение 1)

3)Я не такой человек, который будет обсуждать/... (это ниже моего достоинства)
    Я не из тех, кто станет обсуждать/...

Подозреваю, что в обсуждаемом предложении речь идёт в основном о втором значении, возможно, с подтекстом первого.

4. Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    You are right, Sobakus, in your examples 1) and 3), but in 2) I think you are slightly barking up the wrong tree ;), as I would say this is: "I'm not the one you should be talking to about this because I don't know anything about it." (It's not worth talking to me about ....)

Without further context (what comes next?), I think either meaning 1) or 3) would fit here.

I'm not one to criticise my boss, but ... (he's a fat, lazy pig.)
    Far be it from me to criticize my boss, but (he's a fat, lazy pig.)

"I am not one to talk about what is going on with my colleagues and the other clubs, (but I'll do so anyway even if it's impolite or beneath my dignity: player X is in talks to join FC Barcelona, Player Y is having an affair with the coach's wife, and Player Z has been bribed to make sure we lose the next match...")

So basically, we need to know what comes next in order to be sure of the sense.

5. Sobakus Senior Member

Ah hah! So that's the difference between the variant with the article and without it. Very useful indeed, thanks again, Enquiring Mind!

6. unamigo Junior Member

Russian
    There is a conflict in a football club between the coach and some players. The coach of another club was asked by journalists to comment that situation. His reply you already know: I'm not one to talk about what's going on with my colleagues and the other clubs...

To understand if I got all this right, here it is some more examples using "to be one to".
    1) I hope when you meet my sister you won't flurt with her.
    No, how could you think of that. I'm not one to do such things.

2) I'll tell you something about our boss, but don't tell it anyone.
    Of course, I'm not that one. I can keep secrets.

3) Somebody has reported about our party to police... Why are you looking at me? I'm not the one to answer your question.

4) I saw Fred with a new girlfriend today. Yes, he's one to change girlfiends like gloves.

Thank you.

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  7. Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    So in your original question, your version would translate into English as follows:
    "я не тот человек с кем стоит говорить о том, что происходит с моими коллегами и другими клубами"
    "I am not the one you should talk to about what's going on with my colleagues and other clubs."
    "There's no point in asking me about what's going on ...."
    "It's not worth asking me about ....." (I can't answer your questions, I don't know the details, I'm the wrong person to ask, you should ask someone else who knows about it - Sobakus's #2)

However, the English sentence "I'm not one to talk about what's going on with my colleagues and the other clubs..." means "I'm not the kind of person who would talk about ...." because it's impolite, it's none of my business, I might get into trouble for saying things I shouldn't have said, it's not the sort of thing I would do, I'm not the kind of person who talks behind people's backs - Sobakus's #1 or #3.

More examples:
    Это, конечно, не мое дело, но я не такой человек, который будет молчать. (Source - ask.fm)
    Of course this is none of my business, but I'm not one to keep quiet/remain silent. (I'm not the kind of person who will keep quiet)

Я никогда этого не предполагал, потому что я не такой человек, который такое предполагает. (Source -pink-floyd.ru)
    I never assumed this, because I'm not one to make this sort of assumption. (I'm not the kind of person who makes this sort of assumption)

Is there a way of bringing out this distinction in Russian?
    “не такой человек, который...“ ? (not one to to something, the sort of person who might do something)
    "не тот человек, который..."? (not the one who did something)

8. Sobakus Senior Member

Yes, it's pretty much my #3 and #2. Although it's worth adding that "не тот, кто" can actually mean both.