to be pound into ....

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Resa Reader, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Resa Reader Senior Member

"The owners of these trucks are the icing on the preverbal cake. Each chef's personality is pound into the overall experience of each truck."

This is from a text on "food trucks" that seem to be quite popular in the States at the moment. The expression I can't quite come to grips with here is "is pound into ....".

How do you read this? Do you think you could rephrase that for me?

What I understand is that the chefs themselves are as important as the food that is served there.

(I have to say that the quote is not from a newspaper article but from a blog.)
  2. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    No it's new to me too. Please name the blog; and feel free to provide a link to it.
  3. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    <<Moderator note I think we will need a better description of the source before anyone answers. Is thsi blog written by a native English speaker? I suspect not because of the strange word "preverbal" (I suspect what was meant was "proverbial")
    I'll ask members to wait until you can provide more information. Otherwise it will be pointless speculation game Thank you.>>

(Cross-posted with Beryl - asking for the same information :D)
  4. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

English - England
    "Preverbal cake"? Cakes before anyone could speak?

Whoever is writing this has only a passing grasp of English.
  5. Resa Reader Senior Member

Well, I suspected as much as I have found quite a few other really obvious mistakes in this text.

Here is the link you asked for:

As far as the "preverbial cake" (= proverbial cake) is concerned I thought the authors were referring to "the icing on the cake".

To give you some more background: A student of mine handed in this text last Friday as the "basis" for a discussion next week where he has to act as the dicussion leader.

I already told him then that I was not really happy with the text. Well, I have corrected most of the mistakes by now but that's not quite the idea. I guess I will have to ask him to choose another text. :))
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  6. JulianStuart

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    Thanks for the link.
    I think the writer meant "proverbial" in the expression. However, I agree you would be better off to ask for a different text for discussion :D
    The logical sense for the word "pound" is something like "integrated" or "permeates" but the extra text surrounding the word doesn't really help explain what word the writer actually was thinking of.
  7. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    It's hard to say. It's clearly wrong, but difficult to imagine what they were aiming for. I'd say it's either 'bound' or 'pounded', though neither seems particularly likely given the level of English in the rest of the piece.

Although they were clearly aiming for 'proverbial', again, it's hard to see in what way the 'drivers' could appropriately be so described. If they're bound into the whole experience, then surely they'd be the marbling that runs through the cake, rather than a merely optional adjunct, or finishing touch, as is the case with icing. (Cross-posted and agreeing with Julian)
  8. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

English - England
    Gaaah! The text has more errors than you can wave a stick at! :eek:

First, It is proverbial (i.e. 'of a proverb' and, by extension, a reference to any old/very well-known and/or hackneyed phrase or saying.)

Next the verb pound should be "pounded" = beaten with force, by punches or blows. In this case it could be paraphrased as

"Each chef's personality is stamped on the overall experience of each truck." i.e. each truck reflects the personality of the chef.
  9. Resa Reader Senior Member

Yes, of course he meant "proverbal". I was just about to alter that in my post as I had already noticed that I had taken over the wrong spelling. :D
  10. JulianStuart

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    Perhaps it is "inappropriate " use of the dictionary

From the WRF entry:
  11. Resa Reader Senior Member

Thanks ever so much. Yes, I had noticed the many mistakes myself. (there / their etc.) I will ask the student to chose a text from a good newspaper. Who am I to correct all the mistakes of the original!
  12. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

English - England
    This thread has been a comedy of errors - where's Shakespeare when you want him?