To be sick/ ill?

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by Apa2001, May 5, 2013.

1. Apa2001 Senior Member

English, as spoken in New Joisey
    What is the difference between Болеть-заболеть и быть болен?
    Быть болен-Is this for a short period of time?
    Спасибо,
    Апа

2. Sobakus Senior Member

I don't see any difference. Just keep in mind that быть requires the Instrumental by default, with most cases of the Nominative being reserved to the past tense and colloquial speech.

3. Apa2001 Senior Member

English, as spoken in New Joisey
    Thanks. So, she is not here today, because she is sick: Её сегодня нет, потому-что она больна/болеет--Оба предложения правильны?

4. Sobakus Senior Member

Да, оба правильны.

5. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Just one correction: infinitive is not быть болен but быть больным/больной. However он был болен, она была больна.

6. shapovalov00 New Member

Lausanne
    Russian
    I prefer to use "Она заболела", because the phrase "Она больна" or especially "Она больная" has also a negative meaning of mental illness (she is crazy). But in the rest - these phrases are equivalent.

7. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    I don't think "Она больна" can mean anything mental in the sense of "Она сбрендила". To my ear "Она больна" is just more bookish, than "Она заболела".

8. NagyKiss Senior Member

For me "Она больная" is always about mental health:)
    "Она болеет/заболела" is what I would use in this case.

9. Ёж! Senior Member

Русский
    We're talking of the short form, not of the full one. :) In the short form, for me it's not. :)

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  10. NagyKiss Senior Member

I agree, I also use "Она больна" in ironic sense (mental health again). When it is used in books, it is what it is, but in plain speech it gains the same sense (more ironic) as "Она больная":)