1. aniceto Senior Member

puerto rico/espanol,ingles
    como se dice "to be sneaky" por ejemplo "he is very sneaky" o "he is a sneaky person"?

y tambien como se dice "to sneak in/out" por ejemplo una casa etc...?

ay!!! se me olvido. como se dice "hanger" para ropa etc...? he oido "gancha/o" pero no estoy seguro.
  2. Masood

Masood Senior Member

Leicester, England
    British English
    sneak in=entrar a hurtadillas...the rest are in the WordReference dictionary, mate!
  3. aniceto Senior Member

puerto rico/espanol,ingles
    ayudame por favor
  4. Gala Member

Spain - Spanish
    Hanger = Percha (para colgar la ropa)
    To be sneaky = Ser escurridizo, disimulado. Por ejemplo, cuando intentas adelantarte y pagar a hurtadillas al camarero para poder así invitar a una amiga, entonces ella te podría decir: Don't be sneaky! Pero no se me ocurre cómo traducirlo exactamente.

Espero q te ayude de todas formas.

5. lercarafridi Senior Member

Spain, Spanish
    to be sneaky: comportamiento ilegal o ilícito, ser escurridizo, huidizo, tímido; trying to avoid being seen either because of embarrasment or crime

to sneak in a house: allanar con premeditación y, habitualmente, nocturnidad

Hanger: percha; a shoulder broad plastic or wooden device from which something can be hung (a suit hanger); a hanger can also be an employee whose job consists of hanging.
  6. Mirtha Robledo Senior Member

Lima, Peru
    Peru - Spanish
    Sneak in/sneak out: Escabullirse ya sea dentro o fuera.
  7. Latino Member

Mexico ,Español
    En mexico usamos la palabra gancho.
  8. Yimdriuska Magan New Member

en peru usamos colgador ( hanger)
  9. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    Uso "gancho" también.
  10. Guaperas Member

España - Español
    En España "percha"
  11. Moya New Member

Spanish, Mexico
    Late to the party, I know. But we, here at work, have been pondering the word "sneaky". We never agreed to a literal translation of the word.

However, an English speaking co-worker said he was given the word "siglioso" to mean "sneaky".

I looked the word up here and found no translation and frankly, we have never heard the word spoken.

Any thoughts?
  12. aurilla Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    Am Eng/PR Spanish
    Al igual que en México, en Puerto Rico le decimos al "hanger" "gancho" / "gancho de ropa". Para nosotros "percha" es donde se cuelgan los ganchos.

"to be sneaky" es "ser escurridiza / esquivo"
  13. Mirtha Robledo Senior Member

Lima, Peru
    Peru - Spanish
    sneaky es una persona escurridiza.
  14. Sarael Member

español México
    ¿Quieres decir sigiloso,-a stealthy?
  15. Mirtha Robledo Senior Member

Lima, Peru
    Peru - Spanish
    As previously mentioned the meaning of sneaky is: sigiloso, furtivo, escurridizo.
    For example: you have left the office and all of a sudden you remember that you left something you need. However, there is someone else there and you don't want to be noticed; so, you get in, get your document and sneak out immediately after.
  16. Zulo New Member

México, DF
    Spain, Spanish
    Snaky: ¿no querréis decir avezado, oportunista... pícaro?
  17. Taylormaade New Member

Panama - Spanish
    The spanish word "fingir" means "to pretend" which is another word for sneaky. Also "disimular" which means the same.

Hope this helps :)
  18. Mirtha Robledo Senior Member

Lima, Peru
    Peru - Spanish
    Es hacer algo subrepticiamente, a escondidas, sin que los demás se den cuenta. Saludos,
  19. steeldude

steeldude New Member

En México decimos "andar de puntitas" (sneak around), cuando no deseamos ser sorprendidos. Significa caminar con las puntas de los pies como para no hacer ruido y sin que nadie se entere (to go or move in a quiet, stealthy way).
  20. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

UK English
    Now that smoking has been banned you will often hear people talking about popping out for a sneaky fag (cigarette in UK slang). It's not necessarily about going around on tip toes, it's just something that you do without drawing attention to yourself and getting noticed.
  21. embora Member

Vigo España
  22. embora Member

Vigo España
    sigiloso/ sigilosamente /muy bueno, very good
    also furtivo/furtivamente
  23. embora Member

Vigo España
    como se traduciría entonces/sneaky like little children out of town ???!!!
  24. maribela00 New Member

Spanish - Spain

Estoy de acuerdo con algunas de las traducciones para 'to be sneaky' pero en el uso diario me parecen demasiado canónicas y formales. Yo creo que la traducción más común y equivalente en el uso normal del lenguaje es 'hacerse el tonto' o 'hacerse el despistado' o igual 'escabullirse' o mas 'slang' todavía en España, 'escaquearse' (por ejemplo sin pagar).

25. Mr Rivrs New Member

Another word in Spanish for 'sneaky' would be 'mañoso(a)' and another English synonym would be 'sketchy'.
  26. maribela00 New Member

Spanish - Spain
    Hi there, I don't agree with 'sneaky' being equivalent to 'mañoso'. 'Mañoso' means 'handy' as in a skilled person (opposite of clumsy).
    I think 'to be sneaky' is best translated as hacerse el tonto o el despitado, when you let things happen and pretend you didn't notice. Also 'escaquearse' is a very common slang in Spain. Good luck! Another option is to say 'perderse' (to go unnoticed), like in the examples below:

'He sneaked out for a ciggie'= Se perdió para ir a fumar
    'He sneaked around for two hours'= Se perdió un par de horas ('he got lost a couple of hours' literally).
  27. Mr Rivrs New Member

I disagree, "Mañoso" does not mean 'handy'. Moreover, 'handy' is not commonly used in reference to a skilled person. It would be odd but accepted though. The common use of 'handy' is related to 'useful'. Anyway, "Mañoso" has a negative connotation, you can Google the word and find out how it is picked up in daily life contexts.. furthermore, the 'Diccionario de la Real Academia' states that athough the word has latin origins in 'mania' (hand's skill) this is not necesarly the common usage. Finally, the noun 'Maña' is synonim of 'Resabio' which has a negative connotation as well.
    I think what Embora is trying to say is '..sneaking like little childrens out of town' which is a Charles Manson quote. In this case, the non-literal translation would be something like 'escabullendose (furtivamente) del pueblo como chiquillos".
    all the best.
  28. maribela00 New Member

Spanish - Spain
    Mmmm, interesting. Well, I can tell you I have heard the adjective 'handy' a few times in the US as in 'Mr. Handyman' and stuff like that. Agreed that the general meaning is usually 'accessible' or 'useful' (probably 'Mr. Handyman' takes the meaning from a person who is always useful to have around). As for the negative connotation of 'manoso' (sorry don't have the ~ in my laptop) I am a native speaker from Spain and I swear to you that the word is not negative AT ALL. It's flattering if someone says that to you. It refers to a person that is resourceful and skillful, and has a natural talent to do things well. I just looked up the word on this website and it gives 'difficult' for a Latin American entry, so maybe that's where you get it's negative.

In any case, I would definitely avoid any 'furtivamente' and words of that kind for 'to sneak out' as they go way too rethorical and won't really make sense in a more informal level of the language. I would go just with 'escabullirse' or my other options if you want to go more slangish.

One more thing, although the RAE entry shows 'que tiene manas/resabios' as something negative, the fact that it is the 3rd entry after two positive ones, can serve you as an indication of the fact that the widely extended use of the word is positive. I know in a native intuitive way, but the first two entries are 1) Que tiene mana, 2) Que se hace con mana, and when you look up 'mana' this is what the RAE says:
    1. f. Destreza, habilidad.2. f. Artificio o astucia. U. m. en pl.

3. f. Vicio o mala costumbre, resabio. U. m. en pl. (never heard it like this in my life to be honest, but I suspect that this may have evolved from the word 'mania')

For me 'tener mana' is simply 'to be skilled'.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  29. Williamperez60 New Member

Miami, Fl.
    En Cuba usamos "perchero" ( hanger)
  30. Williamperez60 New Member

Miami, Fl.
    En Cuba usamos "perchero" ( hanger)
    Sneaky- escurridizo, solapado, etc. No wonder we wear "sneakers" to move in/out/about and so on, silently, unnoticed...