to be sold out wholeheartedly

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by ada_aguila, Dec 9, 2012.

1. ada_aguila

ada_aguila Junior Member

Chile
    Spanish
    Hi everyone, I don't understand the meaning of "be sold out" under this context:

God does not want 10 or 75 % of His church to be consecrated, to live a set-apart, sacred life. He wants 100 % of His body, His believers, to be sold out wholeheartedly

Thanks,

2. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    I don't understand it either. "Sold out" is for me a term of commerce, not of religion. What are these words taken from?

3. ada_aguila

ada_aguila Junior Member

Chile
    Spanish
    It's a devotional...so I copy exactly those words....

4. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    I see. In that case it may be a usage known only to religious people (a category that does not include me).

5. ada_aguila

ada_aguila Junior Member

Chile
    Spanish
    Ok, thanks anyways sound shift for your precious time and your will to help :D

6. Bevj

Bevj Allegra Moderata

Girona, Spain
    English (U.K.)
    What does God want from us when He says, We are to, "love the Lord?”
    It depends on what our life experiences were. It can mean different things or degrees of commitment. One thing I believe it means is for us to be completely sold out to Him.

http://northernlightministries.ca/lovethelordwhatdoesitmeanc508.php

I guess that 'sold out' means 'committed' or 'devoted'. (Entregado. quizás)

7. a-nice day! Senior Member

Spanish - Spain
    In my opinion it means something like "entregado", in this case...

8. ada_aguila

ada_aguila Junior Member

Chile
    Spanish
    wow...thank you very much Bevj.....you are all right...just a few lines after the text you copy me said this:

When we are completely sold out or committed to Jesus and His Word - we will walk in the Super natural life He has for us.

So as you guessed, it's committed, or devoted, thank you again :D

9. ada_aguila

ada_aguila Junior Member

Chile
    Spanish
    Thank you "a-nice day" too, tambien se ajusta a la traduccion de mi texto :D

10. chinkle Junior Member

USA
    USA; English
    In this case, "sold out" has the sense that you are not holding anything back from God. You have "sold" or given up the pursuit of anything and everything that would keep you from serving God (e.g. wealth, pride, friends, influence, family, etc.) in order to do the will of God.

11. ada_aguila

ada_aguila Junior Member

Chile
    Spanish
    Chinkle, thanks a lot for that explanation, it helps me to understand the whole dimension of the meaning of this new word for me :D

12. chinkle Junior Member

USA
    USA; English
    Happy to help. :)