To be stood up

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by stelingo, Dec 21, 2012.

1. stelingo

stelingo Senior Member

United Kingdom
    English
    I'm trying to find the Russian equivalent of the expression to be stood up, in the sense that the person you have made a (usually romantic) date with does not show up. The only thing I could find in one of my dictionaries is его подруга не пришла на свидание. Is there not a more idiomatic way of expressing this in Russian?

2. gvozd

gvozd Senior Member

Она его продина́мила.

But I'm not sure that it is a full equivalent of 'to be stood up'. I mean, stylistically. Does 'stood up' sound half-jocular-half-rude-a-bit-offensive?

3. stelingo

stelingo Senior Member

United Kingdom
    English
    No. it's not at all rude, offensive or jocular.

4. gvozd

gvozd Senior Member

I can't think of any other word, to be honest. But I think it is too strong, too expressive. You can use this word talking with your close friends. What exactly for are you looking for an idiomatic expression?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  5. cheburashka Gena Senior Member

Russian
    В словарях фразовый глагол "stand up" переводится как "подвести кого-либо". На ум сразу же приходят слова украинской песни:
    Я прийшов, тебе нема,
    Підманула-підвела.

Но если я правильно понял вопрос, слово "подвести" в русском языке в данной ситуации употребить нельзя.
    Лучше всего подходит вариант от gvozd - Она его продинамила. Только нужно учитывать, что глагол "динамить" - это слэнг и звучит несколько грубо. Другие идиоматические выражения в голову не приходят.

6. stelingo

stelingo Senior Member

United Kingdom
    English
    Ok, thanks.

7. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    In case it's helpful for learners of English, I don't think the dictionary entry "подвести кого-либо" is clear enough for "to stand someone up", which means specifically "to fail to show up/turn up/arrive for a meeting (usually a date - свидание)". However, подводить/подвести кого-либо could be translated as "to let someone down" in the sense of to disappoint someone - разoчаровать.

1. I lent him 50 roubles, He promised to pay me back by yesterday, but he didn't. He's let me down.
    2. He said he would phone me before lunch, but he let me down. (He didn't phone.)
    3. She said she would meet me at 6 o'clock outside the cinena, but she let me down [or "she stood me up"].
    4. I trusted him not to tell anyone else my secret, but he let me down. (He told someone else)

In 1, 2 and 4 above, you can't say "stood me up", because the sense is not to fail to turn up for a date. On the other hand, in 3, "she let me down" doesn't necessarily mean she failed to arrive; it could mean she phoned me shortly beforehand to cancel the date, but in that case, she let me down (she disappointed me), but she didn't stand me up (because in fact she told me she wasn't coming on the date).

"Сегодня подача меня не подводила, и я очень этому рада." (source)
    My serve didn't let me down/disappoint me today, and I'm very happy about that.

"Интуиция меня пока не подводила." (source)
    My intuition hasn't let me down yet.

"Kого-нибудь подводил тест на беременность?" (source)
    Has anyone been let down by a pregnancy test?

In these last three Russian examples, you couldn't use "stood me up".

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  8. e2-e4 X Senior Member

Русский
    If the context permits, you can just omit "на свидание" and get a very idiomatic way of expressing the meaning: «она не пришла».

9. Garbuz Senior Member

Russian
    If you're stood up by a woman, that might be a sign that she just isn't interested in you.
    Если женщина не пришла на свидание, это может означать, что вы ей не интересны.

10. Rosett

Rosett Senior Member

Russian
    "Продинамила" in Russian mainland culture is not a horrible outrageous offense at all, unlike "she stood me up" is in American English.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015