1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

to be supposed to

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by rupertbrooke, Jul 3, 2012.

1. rupertbrooke Senior Member

English UK
    It's got a multitude of meanings bot these are the most common:-be supposed to + infinitive = should

Supposed to in this sense means that something should be done because it is the law, the rule or the custom. However, in practice it is often not done:

• I’m supposed to tidy my room before I go to bed at night, but I always tidy it when I get up in the morning instead.
    • In Germany you’re not supposed to walk on the grass in the parks, but in England you can.
    • I’m supposed to return these books by Friday, but I’m not sure whether I can.
    In the past tense, it is used to mean that something was planned or intended to happen, but did not happen. Note that in these examples, we can use should have is used as anas an alternative to was supposed to:

• I was supposed to go to Cuba for a conference last year but then I got ill and couldn’t go.
    • Wasn’t Tom supposed to be here for lunch? I wonder what’s happened to him!
    • I should have gone to Cuba for a conference last year but then I got ill and couldn’t go.
    • Shouldn’t Tom have been here for lunch? I wonder what’s happened to him!
    Is there a Turkish usage which covers them all?

2. snoopymanatee

snoopymanatee Senior Member

Türkiye/Turkiye
    Türkçe/Turkish
    In Turkish, we use the verb "gerekmek".

3. LaRishka

LaRishka New Member

United States
    Russian
    snoopymanatee, what about "gidecektim" in this particular case? Does it sound right to translate "I was supposed to go to Cuba" as "Küba'ya gidecektim [de]"?

4. snoopymanatee

snoopymanatee Senior Member

Türkiye/Turkiye
    Türkçe/Turkish
    In that case, "gidecektim" also sounds natural to me.

5. ecdadihifzeylerdi Junior Member

Turkish
    You can also use 'lazım', however it's not natural to use lazım in some of your examples.

For instance: I’m supposed to return these books by Friday, but I’m not sure whether I can.
    Bu kitapları cumaya kadar geri götürmem lazım... or (geri götürmüş olmam lazım) or (iade etmiş olmam lazım)

Wasn’t Tom supposed to be here for lunch? I wonder what’s happened to him!
    Tom'un öğle yemeği için burada olması lazım değil miydi? ...

6. dingenc Senior Member

Turkey
    Turkish
    Hello snoopymanatee,
    I agree that "gidecektim" sounds natural but the meaning is different. When you say "gidecektim" you do not specify if you are supposed to go there. When you use "gidecektim" it sounds like you want to go there with your own wish.

7. Reverence Senior Member

Turkish
    "Gidecektim" implies you were planning to go somewhere rather than supposed to. "Gerekmek" is the verb you're looking for, as previously stated.