1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

To begin a sentence with hence, consequently or therefore?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by uncle-tigg, Apr 12, 2007.

1. uncle-tigg New Member

uk,english
    Hello, I am wondering if it is corretct to start a sentence with any of the words hence,cosequently or therefore?
    I believe that as long as the previous sentence supplies the correct data then it is okay to use any of the above. Please can anybody help to clarify this for me? Are there any hard and fast rules to follow?
    Thank you
    Uncle-tigg

2. moo mouse Senior Member

Paris, France
    English UK
    Yes, you can start a sentence with any of these words as long as they refer to a previous statement. I was taught not to start a sentence with 'but' or 'and', but I can't think of a reason why you can't start a sentence with any other word.

3. uncle-tigg New Member

uk,english
    Thank you for your help.

4. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    The advice on starting with and or but applies to hence, consequently or therefore as well.
    Be careful.
    There are some who consider this to be incorrect and some who consider it to be at least careless. If you think you might be writing for someone like that and their opinion of your writing matters, then don't do it.

That doesn't mean that good writers never do it. But inexperienced writers wary of run-on sentences are inclined to carve up their text using such words rather than marshal their thoughts more carefully to construct better sentences.

Edit: Forgive me for not noticing - welcome to WordReference, uncle-tigg.

5. uncle-tigg New Member

uk,english
    Thank you, Panjandrum for your help. Please can you tell me, is there anywhere I can find these "rules and regulations" on correct grammer?

6. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    There are so many different sources ...
    Some of the UK national media have style guides you can find.
    HERE for example, is a BBC News Styleguide.
    It gives lots of useful information, and has a list of other sources at the end.

Many academic sites have guides for students.

Edit: And of course there is always this forum - where most of the particularly knotty problems have been discussed at length.
    Forum search will find many treasures.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  7. uncle-tigg New Member

uk,english
    Thank you, very helpfull!!