'to blame for' and 'to accuse for'

Discussion in 'English Only' started by marinesea, Sep 1, 2006.

1. marinesea Senior Member

Hello,

What's the difference in meaning between 'to blame for' and 'to accuse for'? Which one is stronger?

Are there any other common-used synonyms?

Can we use "blame" in following sentence (or other verb is better):

We've been blamed by our shipping agent for not providing the correct information.

Thank you very much :)

2. Ameen New Member

Karachi, Pakistan
    Urdu, Pakistan
    In my opinion, you can use COMPLAINED here :)

Well Blame is often used for offensive meaning, and accuse is used in law related cases.

3. Ameen New Member

Karachi, Pakistan
    Urdu, Pakistan
    Pardon me if i m wrong, because i m not native, just answered what i observed :p

4. alitza

alitza Senior Member

Romania, Romanian
    In this case I would rather say:
    "We've been accused by our shipping agents of not providing accurate information".

5. nelliot53

nelliot53 Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    Spanish [PR], English [US]
    I would say "to blame" is offensive but in an everyday situation, whereas "to accuse", as Ameen states, is more of a legal proceedings term.

6. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Hang on a bit ... there's something strange happening here.

Blame and accuse are not synomyms.

We've been blamed by our shipping agent for not providing the correct information.
    Something unfortunate has happened, perhaps the consignment has gone missing. The shipping agent says that it is our fault because we did not provide the correct information.

We've been accused by our shipping agent for of not providing the correct information.
    The shipping agent says we didn't provide the correct information.

7. cheshire

cheshire Senior Member

اليابان
    Catholic (Cat-holic, not Catholic)
    If I understand Panjy's comment right, he says:

"to blame" is to hold someone responsibility, while "to accuse" is to just say that someone has failed to do something he should have done.

8. pyan

pyan Senior Member

Vendée, France
    English, UK, London
    Hello Cheshire
    Panj did not say this :D - the example fell that way.

To accuse is to say that someone has acted wrongly. They could have broken a law, or not acted in an expected way. The wrong act can be positive or negative - someone did something or did not do something.

To blame is to say that someone was responsible for something that is wrong or goes wrong.

Example: Jack accused Jill of pushing him down the hill. He blamed her for the fall and the bruises on his head.

9. cheshire

cheshire Senior Member

اليابان
    Catholic (Cat-holic, not Catholic)
    Now I understood!:p Pyan, always in my heart!

10. talbra New Member

São Paulo
    Portuguese - Brazil
    May I make a question? Would it also be correct to word the example this way: "Jack accused Jill of pushing him down the hill. He blamed the fall and the bruises on his head upon her."?
    grateful

11. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    Yes, that works, talbra.