to bring into elision with

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by aabbb, Aug 16, 2013.

1. aabbb New Member

This is from a newspaper article from 1834:

"The reader will remember with what a flourish it was introduced by the Mad: what gratitude they showed to his Lordship ; what congratulation they offered to the country on his magnanimous determination; and above all, how happy they felt that they should be spared, the gentle souls! from the pain and danger of bringing the clergy into elision with the people. "Nun meus est sermo.""

I can't figure out the meaning of the expression "to bring into elision with" here.

Could anyone put me in the picture please?
    Thank you in advance.
  2. dasubergeek Senior Member

English - US; French - CH

I found the article you were talking about, but it doesn't make sense. Elision has the same sense in English that élision does in French: skipping, omitting. It can be a transitive verb (a verb that takes a direct object), but it's nearly always talking about letters, sounds or content. He elided a vowel; the elision of the second part of Händel's Messiah, etc.

I suspect what they meant was liaison, which, again, has the same meaning in English as in French.
  3. Michelvar

Michelvar quasimodo

Marseille - France

C'est une erreur de reconnaissance de caractère lors du scan de l'article en question. Sur une meilleure copie de "The Spectator" on peut lire "... from the pain and danger of bringing the clergy into collision with the people."
  4. Hildy1 Senior Member

English - US and Canada
    Michelvar is right; it's a reading / scanning error, and should be "collision". There are other errors in the quotation too: it should be "by the Mail", not "by the Mad", and "nun meus est sermo" should be "non meus est sermo".