1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

to care about someone

Discussion in 'English Only' started by vost, Oct 11, 2008.

1. vost Senior Member

France
    France, Français
    I know what I care (a lot) about you means between lovers or good friends but can this be used between relatives (parents to children) to say they are very important to them?

<edit> or should relatives use you mean a lot to me instead? </edit>

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  2. KayDeeAy Junior Member

USA - Chicago area
    American English
    I think,
    "I care a lot about you" means that you are concerned for the person's well-being and care about what happens to them. This can definitely be used by parents to their children, and for other relatives. This can be used for anyone that you really care about.

"You mean a lot to me" I think that is saying that someone is important to you. They are important in your life. In my opinion, this sounds strange for a parent to say to a child but ok for other relatives. That is just my opinion though.

3. vost Senior Member

France
    France, Français
    Does it also sound strange if not told by the parent to the child but about the child (talking to someone about their son/daughter, he/she means a lot to me, or you know how much he/she means to me)

4. katie_here Senior Member

England
    England/English
    No, it doesn't sound strange at all.

I've said it about my own children to other people. I've also said things like,

"she means the world to me!"

I disagree with KayDeeAy, that it doesn't seem strange to say it to your own children, or to anyone you feel strongly about. (Unless of course, in KayDeeAys opinion it's not strong enough to convey their emotions.

Different people have different words though. Although I don't actually say to my kids "you mean a lot to me" I say things like "I love you bigger than the world". (not exactly grammatically correct, but it gets the message across! :) ) If I was concerned about one of them, I would say, "Look after yourself, or take care, because you mean a lot to me!

5. KayDeeAy Junior Member

USA - Chicago area
    American English
    You can say it and there is nothing wrong with saying it, but personally, when I am talking to or about my kids, I usually use terms like "I care so much about you." "I love you so much." "You are the most important person in my life." Things like that. I don't recall hearing other people referring to their kids using that phrase either, which is why it sounds strange to me. I don't think that the phrase conveys the magnitude of your feelings for them. I think it is too weak to say to your kids.

6. vost Senior Member

France
    France, Français
    So you think that saying to someone I care a lot/so much about you conveys more feelings and is stronger than you mean a lot/so much to me?

7. Nymeria Senior Member

Barbados
    English - Barbadian/British/educated in US universities blend
    Either one is fine.

Both, "I care a lot about you" and "you mean a lot to me" can be said to any person that you care about, be it your lover, your mother, your brother, your daughter/son or your best friend.

There is nothing about either sentence that is inappropriate within the context of a caring relationship.

8. Nymeria Senior Member

Barbados
    English - Barbadian/British/educated in US universities blend
    Honestly, I do not think that one is measurably stronger than the other, if at all.

"I care so much about you" and You mean so much to me" are all adequate ways of expressing affection. The one that a person uses is more a matter of preference than anything else.