to celebrate a liturgy

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by seitt, Mar 3, 2013.

1. seitt Senior Member

Please, which verb is used with ‘λειτουργία’, specifically of the Orthodox priest (or church) who celebrates it?

I wished to ask if the liturgy on this page is the liturgy celebrated (performed? chanted?) every Sunday:

This is what I wrote:
    Είναι η λειτουργία σ' αυτή τη σελίδα η λειτουργία που εκφωνείται κάθε Κυριακή;

But is εκφωνείται correct, please?

I must confess I'm not even 100% sure which English word should be used here, but the best I can do is "to celebrate".

All the best, and many thanks,

PS It may be that a church is said to celebrate a liturgy but a priest is said to chant it.
  2. Perseas Senior Member

Athens - GR

I know it is used the verb τελώ/τελούμαι.

Η θεία λειτουργία τελείται στο ναό του Αγίου Νικολάου.
    Ο ιερέας τελεί τη λειτουργία.

Some examples more:
    Σε ποια εκκλησία λειτουργεί ο παπα-Γιάννης;
    Οι πιστοί παρακολουθούν τη θεία λειτουργία.
    / Οι πιστοί συμμετέχουν στη θεία λειτουργία.
    Οι πιστοί παρακολουθούν την τέλεση της θείας λειτουργίας. / Οι πιστοί συμμετέχουν στην τέλεση της θείας λειτουργίας.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  3. cougr Senior Member

....που τελείται κάθε Κυριακή.

Εκφωνείται isn't wrong as such but strictly speaking refers to the spoken parts of the liturgy and not the chanting.

cross-posted with perseas
  4. Tassos

Tassos Senior Member

No, I wouldn't say so. Εκφωνείται is mainly used with λόγος or ομιλία (both are translated as speech in English). This verb is used for words associated with "spoken word". But as a liturgy also contains a chanted part (i.e. psalms), this particular verb is not approrpiate.
    Additional to Perseas' (and cougr's, just saw it) answer, one can also say
    Είναι η λειτουργία σ' αυτή τη σελίδα η λειτουργία που λαμβάνει χώρα κάθε Κυριακή; (lit. takes place, a little too formal)
    Είναι η λειτουργία σ' αυτή τη σελίδα η λειτουργία που γίνεται κάθε Κυριακή; (the most obvious choice for informal everyday speech)
  5. seitt Senior Member

Thank you so much, such excellent answers and so prompt too!