1. sarasalsera Junior Member

Hi! Looking for some tips on the following...
    What is a colloquial and cute way to say "Do you want to cuddle/snuggle?" Or, "Can I cuddle with you?"

2. OlivierG

OlivierG Senior Member

Toulouse, France
    France / Français
    Not sure about the English meaning, so I might be wrong, but I'd say:
    "Tu veux faire un câlin ?" or "Tu veux qu'on fasse un câlin ?"

Note: ... and if I get a clout, then it means my translation is right ;)
  3. Amityville

Amityville Senior Member

English UK
    No, you get a radiant smile :D

I know calin but didnt know if it was colloquial and the WR dictionary suggests chatterie ?? What do you think of that one, Olivier ?
  4. le chat noir

le chat noir Senior Member

Paris, France
    French (by birth!), some English, a bit of Russian and traces of German
    "chatterie" is more like a 18th century word. I can't imagine using it in an average conversation, except maybe in the mouth of the few thinking until these days that revolution happened on another planet ;).
  5. Cath.S.

Cath.S. Senior Member

Bretagne, France
    français de France
    Chatterie is more descriptive of an attitude as a whole, that of someone who uses their charm on another person.
    It is seldom if ever used today, although saying that it belongs to the 18th century strikes me as an exaggeration. It probably became obsolete at the end of WW2, along with a whole bunch of other words.
  6. le chat noir

Paris, France
    Yes you're right, I overdid it for the sake of rhetoric :). Anyway, it is pretty much out of the picture nowadays.
  7. saioaymarco New Member

canada, english
    hmmm, is <calin> francais from France? i have never heard of it in Canada.
  8. le chat noir

Paris, France
    Don't know about canadian french, but its usage is very common in France right now.
    The word itself does not necessarily imply intimate relationships. The basic meaning is something like a tender stroke on hair or cheek.
  9. runnershigh8 New Member

English - United States
    Yeah my fiance is French and at first I didn't quite feel that "calin" was exactly the right word for cuddling/snuggling, but it really is. "Faire un calin" definitely is the best way to ask if you want to cuddle, but "un calin" also doubles as meaning "hug" in another context. Kindof like how saying "mon ami" can mean a friend or a boyfriend depending on context.
  10. Melita39 Junior Member

Gatineau, Québec, Canada
    Canada - English, Français
    You may know about the Free Hugs movement. If so, Free Hugs is translated Calins gratuits.

Québec, Canada
  11. gjs13cornell Junior Member

American English
    i want to snuggle you = je veux me blottir contre toi.
  12. gjs13cornell Junior Member

American English
    can i cuddle you? = puis-je me blottir contre toi?
  13. gjs13cornell Junior Member

American English

to fondle or cuddle = caliner
  14. Jean-Michel Carrère Senior Member

French from France
    Since there is a golden rule here on the Wordreference French-English forum that accents are not optional in French, I would like to point out that these words are spelt : câlin / câliner.
  15. forgot Senior Member

French -France
    I thought "cuddle" was for affection, and "snuggle" was rather for warmth (so "se blottir"). I use "hug" for comfort or support. So 3 different sorts of "câlins"... Tell me if I'm wrong?
  16. gjs13cornell Junior Member

American English
    in the usa, cuddle and snuggle are pretty much synonymous. a slang expression for the same is "to spoon."
  17. Le Singe

Le Singe Senior Member

New York City
    English - American
    spooning is A KIND of cuddling, in french it is called "en cuillère".

cuddle and snuggle have exactly the same meaning except the word snuggle is a little more infantile, more for children.

cuddling describes NON-SEXUAL intimate holding and hugging while lying down. it applies to all ages and sexes.