1. FromMarseille Senior Member

France
    Do you see a difference between curse and cuss?

2. ambewela Senior Member

English UK
    cuss isn't a verb

3. CDHMontpellier

CDHMontpellier Senior Member

Bristol, UK
    USA-English
    Cuss is a verb in AE! It is a variation in pronunciation used by some people.

4. FromMarseille Senior Member

France
    Yes, both of them can be either verbs or nouns for American.
    OK thanks!

5. Alipeeps Senior Member

UK
    UK - English
    I have always had the impression that "to cuss" implies milder swearwords than "to curse" - can an AE native give a perspective on this? :)

6. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    "Cuss" is not often used as a verb in British English. The Collins Dictionary gives two meanings for "to cuss":

1.) (intr.) To utter obscenities or oaths.
    2.) (tr.) To abuse (someone) with obscenities or oaths.

I do not use "to cuss" in either of these situations (in fact, I never use "to cuss".) For 1.), I am likely to use "to swear". For 2.), I would probably say "to curse" or, if faced with the person in question, "to swear at".

7. CDHMontpellier

Bristol, UK
    USA-English
    I don't know if there is a difference in degree between "curse" and "cuss" in AE, although I would say that cussing has only to do with obscenities and not calling down the wrath of God ("a plague on both your houses!"). You can definitely be quite vulgar with cussing, so I don't think it's any less strong. I think there may be regional preferences in AE, but I'm not sure about this. (I'm from the south, and cuss is probably used more frequently, along with swear.)

8. Julie1984 Junior Member

France - USA/Germany
    French (American - German)
    well, you can also be very vulgar with 'curse' lol a friend in the US (NY state, does it make a difference?) often says Im cursing ...
    do you think theres a big difference?

9. CDHMontpellier

Bristol, UK
    USA-English
    I was only addressing the question of whether cuss is milder than curse, which I think has been established as having strong connotations. :)

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  10. Julie1984 Junior Member

France - USA/Germany
    French (American - German)
    woow sorry...

11. funnyhat Senior Member

Michigan, U.S.A.
    American English
    I don't think there's a difference in most peoples' minds. They're just two different forms of the same word, I think.

12. 3Lulu3 Senior Member

Canada
    English - Canada & Portuguese
    The word curse is formal and the word cuss is more of a slang. For example, you would never hear a news reporter saying, "The assailant was cussing".

In terms of degree of gravity, I am not sure because I say swearing. Perhaps this is a good term to use to avoid using curse and cuss.

13. fetchezlavache

fetchezlavache Senior Member

metz, france
    france
    That's how I had always understood it. In some people's mouths, I think that using 'to cuss' is sometimes a way of avoiding to say 'curse', in the hope that the curse itself gets dampened down a bit. I'm not sure this sentence makes any sense...

14. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

to cuss was originally a southern US regionalism for to curse

In its modern usage, everyone across the US might use it colloquially, but in that vein it means more generally " dire des gros mots ", or " crisser ", as they say in Québec.

to curse can mean the same thing (but usually in to use curse-words) - or it can also have its original, more serious meaning--to condemn someone before God

15. s'alright Senior Member

London, UK
    English - England
    In England today, "cuss" is used a lot by youths; it means to insult but it can also be used as a noun to refer to an insult someone used.

For example:

"I cussed him"
    "Don't cuss me / it"
    "You got any good cusses?"

It's used a lot in the MC/freestyle UK Rap circuit.

To curse simply means to swear / to use a swear word.

I hope that helps.

16. wildan1

So its usage has evolved as it was adopted into BE

In AE to cuss is intransitive.

Otherwise you would cuss someone out or cuss at someone.

17. s'alright Senior Member

London, UK
    English - England
    It's used as a transitive verb in BE now, yes.

Don't cuss me etc. (i.e. don't insult me / don't take the piss out of me)
    Don't cuss those shoes.

18. englishman Senior Member

English England
    "cuss" wasn't "adopted" into BE - it is in use in BE and has been for centuries, as far as I am aware. It's limited to various UK regions though. There's the fixed expression "tinker's cuss", as well.

There's some info on the curse/cuss distinction here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonological_history_of_English_low_back_vowels

19. wildan1

Well, it is distinctly a US southern regionalism to us. Here's what our dictionaries tell us over here:
    cuss

1775, Amer. Eng. dialectal, "troublesome person or animal," an alteration of curse.

Verb, meaning "to say bad words," is first recorded 1815.