to get good grades

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Gringuita Latina, May 8, 2009.

1. Gringuita Latina Senior Member

Ashford, Kent UK
    English, UK
    Ciao,

come si dice in italiano 'to get good grades' (ie. at school)?

E va bene dire 'io sempre recevevo buon voto' (I always got good grades)?

Grazie

: education
  2. MünchnerFax

MünchnerFax Senior Member

Germany
    Italian, Italy
    Prendevo sempre buoni voti.
    Avevo sempre buoni voti.

Notice the position of sempre. It goes after the verb in Italian. ;)

3. Ricevevo/prendevo sempre ottimi/buoni voti
    Just a question: Is more common the word 'grades' or 'mark' for 'VOTO'?
    Peppe

4. Anyone can explain me the difference between 'grade' and 'mark'? Which is the most common?

5. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
    Very similar and can often be interchanged.
    For an exam you can say what was your mark, you probably wouldn't say what was your grade. At the end of the school year you would talking about your final grade, you could also talk about your final mark but probably less so. I have a feeling this usage is local, however. Let's see what some Brits have to say.

6. CillianCalabrese Junior Member

Washington DC
    English - American
    In the US, I'd say "grade" is used about 99% of the time.

It wouldn't be too weird to read somewhere, like a newspaper or magazine, "He received good marks in high school" but you would never use "mark" in daily speech.

7. Gringuita Latina Senior Member

Ashford, Kent UK
    English, UK
    In Britain I think 'mark' is used more commonly... rrose's definition also applies here.
    Loose guidelines here are: marks apply to exams, essays etc and could be percentages. 'Grade' would be used more for A, B, C classifications.

'Mark' is also a verb - the teacher has to mark our exam papers, etc.

Hope this helps!

8. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
    In shizophrenic Canada we use both...
    I have a good friend, an American, who has always bemoaned all the papers she has to grade.
    Which for our Italian friends means? Feel free to use both, I guess.

9. Gringuita Latina Senior Member

Ashford, Kent UK
    English, UK
    That's interesting... anyone using 'grade' as a verb in the UK would be instantly recognisable as being from abroad :) I suppose for people learning English it depends whether they prefer to learn British or American English, and the main thing is that they are consistent (not using a very 'American' phrase and a very 'British' phrase in the same essay, for example).

10. brian

brian Senior Member

Montréal
    AmE (New Orleans)
    I think everyone in America would recognize and understand mark (as noun or verb), but almost no one (that I know) uses it. Before I read rrose's comment, I'd have guessed it were strictly BE, but maybe some folks in the northeast of the US use it... who knows.

I say grade for any kind of voto.

However, we do say "to mark something right/wrong," for example, "My teacher marked this answer wrong, but it's actually right."

11. Thanks for the help to you all :)
    Peppe