to get rid off [of]

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by beatrizv80, Mar 10, 2007.

1. beatrizv80 New Member

Spanish
    Hi, I have a question, the meaing of the phrase "to get rid off" is same to "get rid of"?

2. Shishu

Shishu Senior Member

Paraguay - Castellano
    Beatriz,
    Nunca he escuchado "to get rid off."
    Saludos

3. zumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    USA: English & Spanish
    "to get rid OFF" --- does not exist as an expression.

"to get rid OF" --- means to dispose of. In Spanish: "deshacerse de."

Saludos.

4. beatrizv80 New Member

Spanish
    My teacher wrote "to get rid off" in classes. I have found this phrase but I didn't find anything.

Maybe my teacher wrote bad this phrase. I don't know but if someone saw this phrases, please say me what is the meaning.

5. Número Uno Senior Member

English
    'To get rid off' doesn't make sense in English....there is only 'To get rid of'

6. UFO Senior Member

Paris
    Poland, Polish
    Maybe you should get rid of this teacher? ;)

7. moxluv New Member

Español
    We look very similar except
    she's got some grays and
    A little extra weight on the sides
    And dimply thighs,
    I hear that stuff's a bitch to get rid off

I have the same doubt of all u cuz i heard that phrase in a song of Imogen Heap - Bad body double truble from her new album i really want toknow the meaning

8. Spug Senior Member

No, es incorrecto. Debería ser get rid of.

Como dijeron arriba, "get rid off" está mal en inglés. Se dice "get rid of" (salir de, desharcerse de).

Espero que sirva... saludos.

9. Pach New Member

English - England
    No Spug, esta mal en el ingles que hablan ustedes en New Jersey. En Ingles de Inglaterra esta mas que bien.

10. Tape2Tape

Tape2Tape Senior Member

Madrid, Spain
    British English, Spain
    ¡Atención periodistas españoles!

Tampoco se dice "making off" cuando se refiere a estas grabaciones "extras" en los DVD de como se rodó la película... es making of.

Como get rid of.

Of
    Off

¡¡Hacer clic para oír la diferencia de pronunciación!!

11. Spug Senior Member

Well, some people here speak poorly... as they do in England.

You have cited a different phrase. Your cite gives synonyms for the phrase "rid off." That differs from "get rid of."

The correct phrase in English-speaking America, including New Jersey, is "get rid of." I have never in my life heard an American of any social class or educational level say, "get rid off."

If you're still unconvinced, here's a link to the website you apparently quoted from:

http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/get+rid+off

As you can see, the result of searching for "get rid off" is No results found.

Saludos...

12. rorocker Senior Member

español
    Hello

I want to know if get rid of can be used for this phrase:

"They are getting rid of her skin"

"Ellos le estan arrancando su piel"

Thank you.

13. gesus Senior Member

spanish - peru
    Hi, I read this in a book: Faculty has to increase its share of effort and some will be gotten rid off.

What can you tell me about that?
    I hope your answer or else I'll have to open a new link

14. Justham Senior Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    USA-English
    El profesorado debe aumentar su cuota del esfuerzo, y algunos serán despedidos.

Si yo fuera a leer eso en un libro, pensaría una o más de lo siguiente:

1) es un error tipográfico.
    2) es un error de imprenta.
    3) el autor no habla inglés como su primer idioma.
    4) el libro se editó en un pais donde el inglés no domina.

Lo único que puedo imaginarme que podría significar --y requiere mucha imaginación-- sería algo como "will be ridden off" o sea "corridos" y tampoco sería con "gotten".

15. Justham Senior Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    USA-English
    Me suena más como "Están tirando su piel a la basura" o "Se están deshaciendo de la piel de ella". Falta mucho el contexto de tu frase original. ¿Cuándo y en qué situación se ha sabido de que a alguien se le arranca la piel? De todos modos sería algo como "They are ripping off her skin" o "They are ripping her skin off." :eek:

16. Justham Senior Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    USA-English
    No Pach, no es inglés en niguna parte. El sitio thesuarus.com intentó darte un resultado por tu busqueda de "rid off" pero solo pudo adivinar que quisite buscar "ride off", por lo que te dio sinónimos del vocablo "leave".

http://thesaurus.com/browse/rid+off

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  17. bjoernen_dk New Member

danish
    I was uncertain too, but not any longer.

To "get rid of (someone/something)" is the correct form. "Of" refers to the object/subject that is being removed/disappeared from someone or somewhere.

"Off" does not refer to a subject or object in that way. "Off" tells about a "movement" away from someone or somewhere. Take off or Lift off: away from the ground. Ride off: to ride/drive/fly/walk away from someone or somewhere.

"They are getting rid of her skin" is an unusual sentence. It would mean that "they" had her skin as a separate entity of which they are disposing (Like: they ripped her skin off yesterday and now they are getting rid of it (her skin) by burning it.) Using "off" makes it complete nonsense.

However "get rid off" seems to occur often. And obviously the mistake is easy to make for phonetic reasons. Besides that then the aggressive connotation of "off" fits well with that of "get rid of"...I think.

- so to answer the original question: Yes, the meaning of the two phrases are most likely meant to be the same if you read them somewhere, but "get rid off" is an incorrect form.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  18. grubble

grubble Senior Member

South of England, UK
    British English
    The last two posts, by Justham and bjoernen are exactly right. :tick: