to get sick to my stomach

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by sweetlor, Nov 9, 2006.

1. sweetlor Junior Member

Elche (Spain)
    Spain (Spanish)
    I have this sentence: We were sitting at the edge of the potato field, on the outskirts of town, smoking Salem cigarettes and getting sick to our stomachs?

What does "to get sick to my stomach" means? Does it mean that the tobacco is destroying their stomach??

I have written: Estábamos sentados en el borde de una campo de patata a las afueras de la ciudad fumando tabaco y destrozándonos el estómago. What do you think?

thank you.
  2. kazijistan Senior Member

Chile and Spanish
    y enfermàndonos del estòmago.
  3. jinti

jinti Senior Member

I got/was sick to my stomach = I felt nauseated or I threw up/vomited.
  4. Tomivich Junior Member

North Carolina, USA
    estoy de acuerdo con enfermándonos del estómago.

being sick to the stomach, basically just refers to having a stomach ache.
  5. JoseCarlosdel

JoseCarlosdel Senior Member

Sevilla (Spain)
    "fastidiándonos(estropeándonos) el estomago"
  6. SmallJosie Senior Member

I suppose it could be literal here, however, as far as I know the expression "to feel sick to the stomach" is normally when something makes you really angry (sick) or shocks you.
  7. JB

JB Senior Member

Santa Monica, CA, EEUU
    English (AE)
    Swewetlor, it would be helpful to have more context. As you can see, we are guessing here, since the phrase can have more tehan one meaning. For example, maybe they were getting nauseated from smoking (because they were children smoking for the first time), or maybe because they were eating too much candy, or maybe it was an emotional issue.

If you would please add more context, it would help.
  8. TransWordAirlines New Member

English US
    In my mind, "sick to our stomachs" can be literal, which implies vomiting. Or figurative, meaning revulsion. In either case, it is far more severe than a mere stomach ache.