To go on, carry on, continue, keep verb-ing

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by ThomasK, Oct 21, 2013.

1. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    How do you translate those or the 'continue' concept in your language? BTW: I suppose they all take an inf. or some other non-finite verb form... Please analyse the form if possible.

In English I think these are the main ones : to go on, to carry on, to keep --- but I should add continue of course.
    I recognize
    - V go, carry + on + gerund
    - the V keep, or tenere, as in con-tinue + gerund
    In Dutch : blijven, doorgaan (doorzetten, but that implies 'not giving up', that is not my focus here !), voortgaan/ verdergaan (voortzetten), but the latter seem less common nowadays...
    Elements:
    - the V blijven, 'stay', + inf. (no 'to')
    - door (through) + V gaan [go] (zetten would be something like putting) + met (prep., followed by a noun)
    - voort/ verder (further, onwards) + Noun

2. learnerr Senior Member

Russian
    Not exactly true for Russian. Most naturally, we use adverbs and adverbial expressions like "всё ещё" (lit. "all yet"), "по-прежнему" ("in the past way"), "вовсю" ("into all") and others. And only when the idea of action continuation is the main one in the sentence, we would prefer to choose a verb. An example of a verb to choose might be "продолжать" (literally "prolong", but its meaning can be thought of as a mixture with "continue"), or "не переставать" ("don't cease").

3. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I see. Could you contrast some Russian sentences with English ones ? (Thanks)

4. learnerr Senior Member

Russian
    Google search provided me with Nexxus' lyrics:
    I keep on saying to you
    I keep on telling you
    That I love you so and I want you to know
    Oh please belive what I say <...>

Russian: Я по-прежнему тебе говорю, что настолько тебя люблю, что ты должна об этом знать. Поверь тому, что говорю <...>
    The translation is somewhat inaccurate, but the first line is quite exact, and you notice the adverb "по-прежнему" that I had listed previously.

Another one from lyrics (this time the author is Sophie Ellis-Bextor):
    I can't sleep when the walls keep saying your name. – Нет сил заснуть, когда стены называют твоё имя.
    Here the Russian phrase does not express continuity in any special way, it goes implied. The translation is just "they tell your name". Well, "продолжают называть" (they continue to tell") is also possible, but I don't see any special difference.

Yet another example: keep praying that your sister be still alive! – молись покрепче, чтобы твоей сестре бандиты пощадили жизнь!
    The underlined phrase in Russian means just "pray hard". What comes next is noticeably different from the English original, but that's not extremely important here. Another variant is "молись вовсю", using one of the adverbs that I listed before.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  5. ahmedcowon Senior Member

In Arabic:

go on, carry on, continue
    استمر في istamarra + fi + gerund
    واصل wāsala + gerund

keep
    ظل THalla + imperfect
    داوم على dāwama + 3ala + gerund

I also want to say that there are no "infinitive verbs" in Arabic.

6. Tjahzi

Tjahzi Senior Member

Umeå, Sweden
    Swedish (Göteborg)
    I believe the North Germanic verb stacking, ending with an infinite, to be the exception rather than the rule here. Most languages probably describe this using modes, aspects or gerunds/participles.

Swedish goes very much along the lines of Dutch and English, with the difference that we pretty much only have one verb for it.

Att fortsätta (att) [infinite verb].

7. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    Well, to put things in perspective, Modern Greek maintains only the aorist infinitive (active & passive voice) from the Classical language (Classical Greek formed infinitive in four tenses -present/aorist/future/perfect, and three voices -active/middle/passive) the others have been long lost. The aorist infinitive combined with the auxiliary v. «έχω» ['exo] --> to have, forms the Perfect tense: «έχω γράψει» ['exo ɣrapsi] (I've written) < Byz. Gr. aorist active voice infinitive «γράψειν» grápsein < Classical Gr. aorist active voice infinitive «γράψαι» grápsai.
    To treat continuous concept in Modern Greek, we combine the verb «συνεχίζω» [sine'çizo]* --> to continue, carry on, keep on + Present subjunctive, e.g: Eng. "I keep on writing" --> Gr. «συνεχίζω να γράφω» [sine'çizo na 'ɣrafo] lit. "I continue that I write"

*v. «συνεχίζω» [sine'çizo] --> to continue, carry on, keep on < Classical Gr. verb «συνέχω» sŭnékʰō --> to hold on, contain, detain < compound, prefix and preposition «σύν» sún, Attic «ξύν» ksún --> in company with, together with, including (with unknown etymology) + v. «ἔχω» ékʰō --> to have, possess (PIE *seǵʰ-, to possess, hold fast, retain, have cf Skt सहते (sAhate), to prevail, overpower, conquer).

8. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    Hebrew:
    להתקדם הלאה lehitkadem hal'ah
    להמשיך lehamshich
    לעבור la'avor (mainly for pass, though for some things it acts as to move on)

9. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    Czech:

1) to continue = pokračovati + v + verbal noun (in + -ing), derived from the noun krok = step (> pokrok = progress, advance);
    related verbs: kráčeti = to stride, pokročiti = to advance;

2) nepřestati + inf., negation of přestati = to quit, to cease, to discontinue;

3) finite verb + dál (adv., further/onward);

Keep reading!

1) Pokračuj ve čtení!  (lit. continue in reading!)
    2) Nepřestávej číst! (lit. don't quit/discontinue to read!)
    3) Čti dál! (lit. read further/onward!)

10. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I first thought you you were referring to an aspect of the verb, but I suppose that is not the case here, or is it?

Could you comment a little on the precise meanings of istamarra, wassala, thalla, fi and Sala, Ahmed? Do the first two literally refer to going, or to carrying, etc?

I am not sure I can follow the phrase 'verb stacking', Tjahzi... Are you referring to a series of verbs? - But you are right, I also suppose that most languages don't use a separate verb, like voortzetten/ fortsätta...

Could you add some comments, Arielipi, on the precise meanings of these expressions?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2015
  11. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    להתקדם הלאה keep on, forward, turn a page
    להמשיך to continue, to resume
    לעבור to pass, to move on

12. ahmedcowon Senior Member

"istamarra" is the default verb for "to continue" and it takes the preposition "fi" (in) .. It shares the same root with the verb "marra" (to pass)

"waasala" is also used to mean "to continue" .. It shares the same root with (to connect, to reach, to arrive, to link)

"THalla" means "to keep, to remain, to stay" according to the context

"daawama" is used to mean "to continue, to maintain" and it takes the preposition "ala" (on) .. It shares the root with "daama" (to last).

13. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Thanks, both of you. My last question would be: can you use all of those verbs independently, maybe with another meaning? I suppose the continue verbs only refer to duration, but can any of the other verbs have a more literal meaning like staying at a place, keeping something (in one's hands), maintaining a position?

14. learnerr Senior Member

Russian
    No. It's just the adverbs that say the action is the same in the moment being described as it was before this moment. I agree with Tjahzi, I think the English use of continuation verbs is not always direct. They often work to mean other related things that are caused by continuation or lead to continuation, like tiresomeness, doing something hard, and so on.

15. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    Thomas - no; I can grasp a connection between the arabic verbs with the hebrew verbs although i cant exactly put the finger on it, they seem to be parallel, and i think i see a tongue shift.

16. ahmedcowon Senior Member

Not easy to explain because we don't use these verbs in the Egyptian dialect, but I'll try :):
    The first two verbs are only used to mean "continue" and they are generally interchangeable.
    The third verb (THalla) generally means "remain\stay" (e.g: staying at a place), but when followed by a verb it means "continue".
    The last verb (daawama) is used when talking about "keeping doing something" (e.g: Keep taking the medicine).

17. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    להתמיד lehatmid is to keep doing something (like keep doing homework) - something that someone always do, parallel to daawama.
    in hebrew theyre sometimes parallel.

18. Diamant7

Diamant7 Senior Member

Català
    In Spanish it's common to use the verb seguir 'follow' instead of continuar.