1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

to hagride

Discussion in 'Dictionary Additions' started by The Lord of Gluttony, Jan 5, 2013.

1. The Lord of Gluttony Senior Member

Earth
    Turkish
    Term: to hagride

Your definition or explanation: To torment or harass, especially with worry or dread (Not my definition. I quoted from another dictionary)

Example:

"He felt like unplugging the phone from its jack so she could not hagride him anymore with her dirty tricks." Blood Moon: Thrillers and Tales of Terror - Bryan Cassiday

"a man hagridden by the futurehaunted by visions of an imminent heaven or hell upon earth"
    (C.S. Lewis)

One or more places you have seen the term: Blood Moon: Thrillers and Tales of Terror - Bryan Cassiday

Have you looked for this term or meaning in dictionaries, and not found it? Yes. I looked it up in WR dictionary but couldn't find it.

2. Cagey post mod Staff Member

California
    English - US
    In which dictionary [-ies] did you find this?

3. The Lord of Gluttony Senior Member

Earth
    Turkish
    I suppose you are asking where I've found the explanation. I've found it in The American Heritage Dictionary.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  4. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    The full OED has hag-ride:
    The Concise OED (WordRef) has hag-ridden.

5. susanna76 Senior Member

Romanian
    Here's also from Philip K Dick, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    "She seemed more externally composed now. But still fundamentally frantic and tense. Yet, the dark fire waned; the life force oozed out of her, as he had so often witnessed with other androids. The classic resignation. Mechanical, intellectual acceptance of that which a genuine organism -- with two billion years of the pressure to live and evolve hagriding it -- could never have reconciled itself to."

6. ManOfWords

ManOfWords Senior Member

Português [Brasil]
    so what does the verb 'hagride' mean? Is it old-fashioned?

7. MountainTips New Member

USA
    English - USA
    'Hagride' originated in 1680 according to Merriam-Webster, and means to harass.

8. ManOfWords

ManOfWords Senior Member

Português [Brasil]
    Thanks MountainTips;