to hagride

Discussion in 'Dictionary Additions' started by The Lord of Gluttony, Jan 5, 2013.

1. The Lord of Gluttony Senior Member

Earth
    Turkish
    Term: to hagride

Your definition or explanation: To torment or harass, especially with worry or dread (Not my definition. I quoted from another dictionary)

Example:

"He felt like unplugging the phone from its jack so she could not hagride him anymore with her dirty tricks." Blood Moon: Thrillers and Tales of Terror - Bryan Cassiday

"a man hagridden by the futurehaunted by visions of an imminent heaven or hell upon earth"
    (C.S. Lewis)

One or more places you have seen the term: Blood Moon: Thrillers and Tales of Terror - Bryan Cassiday

Have you looked for this term or meaning in dictionaries, and not found it? Yes. I looked it up in WR dictionary but couldn't find it.

2. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    In which dictionary [-ies] did you find this?

3. The Lord of Gluttony Senior Member

Earth
    Turkish
    I suppose you are asking where I've found the explanation. I've found it in The American Heritage Dictionary.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  4. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    The full OED has hag-ride:
    The Concise OED (WordRef) has hag-ridden.

5. susanna76 Senior Member

Romanian
    Here's also from Philip K Dick, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    "She seemed more externally composed now. But still fundamentally frantic and tense. Yet, the dark fire waned; the life force oozed out of her, as he had so often witnessed with other androids. The classic resignation. Mechanical, intellectual acceptance of that which a genuine organism -- with two billion years of the pressure to live and evolve hagriding it -- could never have reconciled itself to."

6. ManOfWords

ManOfWords Senior Member

Português [Brasil]
    so what does the verb 'hagride' mean? Is it old-fashioned?

7. MountainTips New Member

USA
    English - USA
    'Hagride' originated in 1680 according to Merriam-Webster, and means to harass.

8. ManOfWords

ManOfWords Senior Member

Português [Brasil]
    Thanks MountainTips;