To hitch my wagon to someone's star

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by david314, Sep 8, 2008.

1. david314

david314 Senior Member

Clayton, Missouri
    American English
    Long time, no see! :)

I would say that this means, roughly, to align oneself with another who has a more promising future. I recently saw the following, & I believe that it is a good translation: Croire en son étoile

As always, I'm happy to see other opinions.

2. mgarizona

mgarizona Senior Member

Phoenix, AZ
    US - American English
    I think you're conflating "to hitch your wagon to someone" with Ralph Waldo Emerson's line "hitch your wagon to a star" which means "aim high, shoot for the stars."

3. david314

david314 Senior Member

Clayton, Missouri
    American English
    Thanks for pointing that out, mgarizona - sometimes I have problems conflating in public, and that's always a bit embarrassing. :D

4. mgarizona

mgarizona Senior Member

Phoenix, AZ
    US - American English
    LOL

For the record, my Collins-Robert gives:

Hitch one's wagon to a star: aspirer à de hautes destinées
    Hitch one's wagon to someone: chercher à profiter de la destinée de qn.

5. david314

david314 Senior Member

Clayton, Missouri
    American English
    Thanks, again -that's just what I needed. I wonder, though, how should we translate our source text? Here's my revised best effort: to believe in someone? :)

6. mgarizona

mgarizona Senior Member

Phoenix, AZ
    US - American English
    There's an old expression "to have faith in one's star," meaning to trust in one's destiny. I guess it's a little like Joseph Campbell's "Follow your bliss"--- well, sort of--- but I'm not sure what more current expression might equal croire en son étoile.