to + infinitive or to + gerund

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by for learning, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Hello everybody!. I am eager to understand at least the difference between to + infinitive and for + gerund in some cases, for instance as in the next case:
    "They gave her directions to prepare the party"
    "They gave her directions for preparing the party"
    Sometimes I believe to see some difference but it is clear that I don´t understand it well. Can we really use both type of forms in all the cases. though,i suposse, with some difference of meaning?
    Thank you very much anyway!!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  2. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US

3. ok, i think i understand your explanation. So in the second case I could also say something like: I gave her directions on how to prepare the party?. In the first phrase, could i say something like: I told her to prepare de party or I asked her to prepare the party?
    And could i say this sentences ?:

" I bought that book for reading it"
    " I bought that book to read it"
    I suppose that the first sentence is not correct or could it be correct if is referred to other book or reading?
    thanks a lot.

4. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    You would only say "I bought that book to read it" if you meant that you bought it in order to read it rather than, say, to give it as a gift. Normally you would just say "I bought that book to read" ("on the plane," for example).

"I bought that book for reading it" isn't correct, but you can say, for example, "I bought that book for reading on the beach" (or "to read on the beach").

5. thank you so much, this is a god lesson for me.
    Just a last question if you let me so. In the last example there is much less diference of meaning than in the first about the party, isn´t it?.I mean, is not pretty the same, if not the same to say:
    I bought that book to read on the beach , and
    I bought that book for reading on the beach ?? : this could mean that it was a book specially written to read on the beach?.
    uff, I will see it clearsome day , i hope!. thank you so much again

6. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    There's no real difference between I bought that book to read on the beach and I bought that book for reading on the beach.

7. thanks a lot