1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

to leave an inheritance

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by Gavril, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    In English, you can use the verb leave (or the more archaic-sounding bequeath) when talking about inheritance:

My grandfather left this clock to me. / My grandfather left me this clock.

Here, the item being inherited (the clock) is the direct object, and the person receiving the inheritance ("me") is the indirect object/dative.

In Icelandic, the verb arfleiða has a similar meaning to leave / bequeath, but the syntax associated with this verb is different:

Afi minn arfleiddi mig að þessari klukku. "My grandfather left this clock to me."

Here, the direct object is the person receiving the inheritance, whereas the indirect object is the property being inherited. A more literal translation of the above sentence would be, "My grandfather inherited me to this clock".

How do you express "to leave (an inheritance to someone)" in your language?

2. Словеса Senior Member

Русский
    Are you sure there are only two ways to say it in English?
    Russian: many ways, but they all seem to respect the item in the accusative case, and the receiver in the dative case (or in the nominative case, of course). Often, the noun наследство, inheritance (в наследство, по наследству) is used.

3. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    Also: My grandfather willed this clock to me.

4. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    There are definitely other synonymous (or semi-synonymous) verbs you can use, but I'm interested here in the syntax of the construction: i.e. which semantic component is the direct object and which is the oblique/indirect object.

I just found out that English inherit originally meant "to make someone an heir", so perhaps the inherited property would have been in the dative (e.g., "My grandfather inherited me to the clock").

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  5. Radioh

Radioh Senior Member

Australia
    Vietnamese
    để lại tài sản thừa kế = to leave an inheritance (leave = để lại; inheritance = tài sản thừa kế). And this the only way I can think of, maybe because we don't have the verb "inherit" in my language.

6. OneStroke Senior Member

Hong Kong, China
    Chinese - Cantonese (HK)
    In Chinese, we also use 'leave': 鐘是我祖父留給我的。

7. Словеса Senior Member

Русский
    Thank you very much, interesting.
    All verbs that have to do directly with inheritance that I can think of (оставить в наследство, передать по наследству, завещать, отписать) use the syntactical pattern of the modern English, as I said. I can think only of indirect ways of saying that which would use the combination: (heir in the accusative) + (item in instrumental). Also, of course the verb унаследовать places the heir in the nominative case, the deceased after the preposition у in the gentivie case, the item (again) in the accusative case.

8. apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    In Greek we say:

«Ο παππούς μου, μου άφησε αυτό το ρολόϊ» [o pa'pus mu mu 'afise af'to to ro'lo.i] --> the-masc. sing. definite in the nominative grandfather of-mine-post-nominal clitic genitive pronoun that expresses possession to-me-pre-verbal clitic genitive pronoun that expresses indirect object left this clock.
    The weak pre-verbal clitic genitive pronoun has replaced in Modern Greek the obsolete dative (in Katharevousa the «μου άφησε» is «μοὶ-pre-verbal clitic pronoun in dative ἄφησε»).

Τhe verb is «αφήνω» [a'fino] --> to let loose, give up something, get rid of < Classical v. «ἀφίημι» ăpʰíēmĭ --> to let loose, give up something, get rid of < compound; prefix and preposition «ἀπό» āpó --> far away, away from (PIE *h₂epo-, from cf Skt. अप (apa), away, Hitt. āppa-, after) + Classical v. «ἵημι» híēmĭ --> to send (away) , let go, throw, hurl (PIE *(H)ieh₁-, to throw cf Lat. iacere, to throw, hurl, cast).

And:

«Κληρονόμησα από τον παππού μου ένα ρολόϊ» [kliro'nomisa a'po tom‿ba'pu mu 'ena ro'lo.i] --> I-inherited-1st p. sing. aorist of v. «κληρονομώ» from the grandfather of-mine a clock.

The verb is «κληρονομώ» [klirono'mo] --> to inherit < Classical v. «κληρονομέω/κληρονομῶ» klērŏnŏméō (uncontracted)/klērŏnŏmô (contracted) --> to inherit, acquire, obtain < compound; Classical masc. noun «κλῆρος» klêrŏs --> lot, allotment, inheritance, piece of ground, later also, Christian clergy. Originallly a shard of stone or a piece of wood that was used as a lot (with unclear etymology possibly from *kelh₂-, to strike, hit cf Latin -cellō (in compounds), to strike; Rus. колоть, to split, stab, sting) + Classical v. «νέμω» némō --> to allot, dispense, distribute, appropriate, possess (PIE *nem-, to dispense, distribute, take cf Lat. numerus, number, collection > It. numero, Sp./Por. número, Fr. nombre, Rom. număr, Eng. number, Ger. Nummer; Proto-Slavic *ęti, to take > OCS ѩти, Rus. взять, Cz. jmout, to grab, to begin, Pol. jąć, to grab, to take; Ltv. ņemt, to take, seize, accept)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  9. tFighterPilot Senior Member

Israel - Hebrew
    Hebrew has a verb for it, its root י-ר-ש which is used, in different forms, for both "left an inheritance" and "inherited". So "My grandfather left this clock to me" would be סבי הוריש לי את השעון הזה and "I inherited this clock from my grandfather" would be ירשתי את השעון הזה מסבי.

10. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Hungarian: ráhagy [rá- on, hagy leave];
    A nagyapám rámhagyta az óráját. As you can see we kind of decline the prefix or what you call it.... (rám- on me, rád- on you, rá- on her/him, etc)

11. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    In Dutch we use laten but with a prefix : nalaten (after) and we say : Hij liet iets na aan zijn zoon, he left something to(wards ? Fr. : à) his son. Hij erfde van zijn vader, he inherited from his father.